The Unsettling Prevalence Of Mental Health Issues In Veterans

We cannot fully comprehend what is lost each time a veteran takes his/her life.

15
Douglas County Veterans Affairs

Many of you may have some knowledge about the unsettling prevalence of mental health issues with veterans, but most people do not understand how serious the problem actually is.

There are around 19.3 million military veterans currently living in the United States, according to statistics from Infoplease.com. To put this in perspective, there are about 319 million people living in the Unites States. About 6% of our population is made up of United States Veterans.

These people have put their lives on the line, whether they wanted to or not, to defend the country that we live in.

Not all of our veterans willingly volunteered themselves to fight for the country but they did it regardless. And because of this, it is important that we recognize the sacrifice that they made.

When veterans return home, it is often difficult for them to make a smooth transition to “regular life” again. There are many different statistics naming the percentages and numbers of veterans that live with some type of mental health issue. From doing the research, I mostly noticed that ALL of the numbers are in millions. That also shows me that this is a large problem that is often overlooked.

On average, there are 22 veteran suicides per day, according to the Federal Department of Veterans Affairs. The American Psychological Association shows that this number is climbing, especially among male service members between the ages of 18 and 29. Female veterans, though not as prevalent as male veterans, are the fastest growing category of the homeless veteran population in America. There are many different things that could contribute to these statistics, but one of the most general answers is that it is very difficult for veterans to immerse themselves back into their normal lives once they have served.

The unemployment rate for veterans outpaces the civilian unemployment rate. This means that a veteran returning to the country after their service is more likely to be unemployed than a regular civilian. As we know, many veterans return from their service with serious mental health issues, which makes finding a job even more difficult. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is common among veterans and can be related to brain injuries that were incurred during active duty.

Veterans face all sorts of struggles with reintegrating into their communities for many different reasons, but it should be a priority for their communities to make their transition as smooth as possible. It is obvious that the lack of proper care for veterans is a large issue that should be improved nationwide, but there are ways that you can contribute in your own community. Here are some programs that are put in place to improve the lives of veterans. You can make a difference!

1. Puppies Behind Bars

This is a program where prisoners work to train companion dogs for veterans that struggle with PTSD. Donors can sponsor a dog and receive updates about the dog and its veteran.

2. Building Homes for Heroes

Veterans who have acquired injury often need a home that better accommodates their disabilities. This program builds a specifically modified homes for veterans.

3. Disabled American Veterans

This program provides transportation to veterans who cannot travel to medical facilities on their own. You can volunteer to provide transportation for them.

4. Hero Miles Program

This program lets people donate their frequent flier miles to allow family members of wonder service members to visit their loved one.

All of these programs provide small ways for you to help a veteran. Though you may feel that such a small contribution does not make much of a difference, each life is important and each time you show a veteran appreciation, you could be making a world of difference for that one person.

When it comes down to it, mental health issues among veterans in the United States is a problem that needs to be taken more seriously. We are losing veterans every day because they are not receiving the help that they need. We can look at statistics and be appalled, but we cannot fully comprehend what is lost each time a veteran takes his/her own life. We cannot comprehend the pain that a veteran’s family goes through when their loved one lost his/her life, especially if it could have been prevented.