The Unpredictable Road Ahead: My Thoughts On Five Year Plans

My answers to the question "where do you see yourself in five year?"

296
racqliving.com

Heading into college it seemed like everyone was asking me what I was going to major in and what career I wanted in the future. I never really had an answer for them. I usually have a general goal that I want to achieve but I have never had a concrete plan. I believe this has only benefited me in my journey through college. Not having a specific plan has enabled me to seek a wide variety of opportunities, be open-minded, and have a flexible path to my goals. So when I am asked where I see myself in five years I realize that I don’t have the answer that they are looking for. What they want to hear is that I have the next five years of my life planned out and I know exactly where I want to end up. But that is simply not true. I don’t have plans for the next five years, but I do have hopes for the next five years.

In five years I hope to be pursuing my passions

I am not sure if my passions will stay the same or if they will change ten times over again. But I do know that I hope to be constantly pursuing them. I hope to never work a day in my life because I honestly love what I do and that I never stop trying to learn more.

In five year I hope to be surrounded by love and laughter

When the pursuit of my passions gets overwhelming, I hope to come hope to a house filled with joy. I hope that in five years I still have my friends to lean on and my family to support me.

In five years I hope to be happy

The kind of happy that makes you smile from the inside. The type of happy that is contagious and impossible to contain. The type of happy that makes the bad days seem not so bad and the good days seem like they will never end.

In five years I hope to be living a life full of adventure

It doesn’t matter to me whether that adventure is chasing the perfect career, discovering new places and people, or simply sharing my life with the one I love. I just hope to live a curious life full of adventure.

In five years I hope to have no regrets over opportunities not taken

Five years from now I hope to be able to say that I took on new opportunities, that I found the adventure in each day, and that I never settled for less.

The thing about a five-year plan is that it doesn’t account for the spectacular chaos that is life. I have absolutely no clue where I will be in five years, so it’s hard for me to answer the way people expect me to. Five years ago I had no clue I would end up where I am now, but I am happy with where I happen to be. So, for now, I plan to live my life based off the faith that I will end up exactly where I need to be.

If I am being honest, in five years I hope I still don’t have an answer for this question because that would mean I am still embracing the crazy beautiful journey that makes up this unpredictable life.