There Is So Much Unjustified Hate For Megan Rapinoe But I Stand With Her And You Should Too

By now, everyone knows that the US Women's National Team won the World Cup a few weeks back. The team absolutely dominated the field and ran away with the cup. But, star forward Megan Rapinoe was the one that gained the most attention. Her outspoken nature not only got the team a lot of attention but got hate from many for the word she was saying.

When I think of Megan Rapinoe, I think of some of the athletes that stood for equality or any other social cause that was close to them. Lebron James, who famously wore a shirt that stated "I can't breathe" during warm-ups in 2014 to bring awareness to Eric Garner who was the victim of police brutality. Colin Kaepernick, who peacefully used football as his platform to protest police brutality, as Lebron did with basketball. Muhammed Ali, who used boxing to refuse to fight in the Vietnam War and took the risk of being exiled from boxing.

Those athletes used their platform to bring awareness and also to start the conversation. Megan has used the platform of soccer to make the stand of women should be getting equal pay to the Men's National Team and has consistently spoken against the president. She is absolutely right in the fact that the women have been far more successful than the men's team over the last two decades.

Speaking out against the current President of the United States should not be any surprise to anyone. Other athletes like Lebron and Colin Kaepernick have done it several times over. Megan is fighting for not only the rights of the women and for other women to fight for equal pay in their jobs besides sports. Her message is spreading beyond the soccer field.

Now to the main point of the article, why is there hate for this woman? Mainly, because she is in the minority of being a gay woman that stands up to men and has no issue in calling out the fact that men have been promoted as superior to them. Also, she has been shown to be arrogant to sports viewers' eyes. I argue that she has the right to be arrogant considering she is lightyears better than the majority of men and she has the talent to back up her words and her play.

I understand that men have been promoted to be the superior people and I applaud Megan Rapinoe for using her platform to point out the bias that men get and fighting for equal pay among her sport. I hope Megan doesn't stop talking and going talk shows speaking. Nothing will ever get done if we ignore that women are still not treated equally to men. Megan has gotten the conversation started, it now up to us as men and women to continue her message and pass it down to the future generations.