The New Vol's Guide To Move-In Day At UTK
Life Stages

Here are a few points to help make move-in day a lot less stressful!

491
Madison Woods

August 12th marks the beginning of thousands of students moving in which makes that week one of the busiest on campus. For many, it can be confusing trying to get in and out of the residence halls and on and off campus. Before you and your parents get frustrated, here a few tips you can take to make your experience smooth and painless.

1. Download the Vol Life App

The Volunteer Life Guide App, which can be downloaded here, contains multiple guides for different aspects of campus life, including the move-in guide. Under the housing guide, there is a schedule for each residence hall and who moves in on each day in case you are not sure when you move in. There is also a list of what you can and cannot have in your room which is good to know before you get written up by your resident assistant for an illegal toaster. If you are living in a dorm that accommodates lofting, there is also a lofting guide and information on how you can purchase a lofting kit for North Carrick, South Carrick, or Reese Hall.

2. Check out Our Campus Market

The United Residence Hall Council partners with Our Campus Market, an online company that families can go to to find all dorm essentials. Our Campus Market (OCM) provides products related to bedding, bath, technology, and other dorm essentials. They also have "value packs" that students can purchase and make shopping way less stressful. Our Campus Market can be used later during the school year by parents to send care packages to their student for every holiday and final seasons.

3. Know your room's measurements

Before you go out buying a new flat screen TV or a couch for your bedroom, remember it is a dorm room and there are limitations. Each dorm room is different across residence halls so make sure you look to see what the measurements are for yours specifically before spending a lot of money that can end up being a waste.

4. Know your dorm address

If you are struggling at the last minute to find something for your room and have to order it, just have it sent to the dorm! Make sure you do know the address of your dorm, however, because it can get lost which can then become a hassle when trying to find out where your package is. If you order anything online close to move-in day, it is easier to have it sent to your dorm than to your permanent residence and then sent later. If it has your name and your dorm number on it, you will be the only one who will be able to receive it which makes everything a lot easier.

5. Coordinate with your Roommates

Before you all meet on move-in day and end up having four mops and buckets, make sure to talk to them all and assign each one of you to a different task in getting any dorm essentials that are used by all of you. This way, not only one person is buying everything and you are not wasting money on extra cleaning supplies that are not necessary.

6. Make sure you know where you are going

The streets on campus can be a little confusing and each residence hall has a certain place where they allow cars unloading to be. Make sure you know where that is before you park somewhere where you should not be and get a ticket for it. If you are not sure, ask an assistant at the residence hall's desk or always listen to the intercom as they will be making announcements throughout the day about any cars in illegal spots.

7. Vols help vols!

When you are moving in, hundreds of upper-class students will be out and about coming up to help you with your luggage. Organizations come together to help students move in order to not help your day become smooth, but also to live up to the motto of "vols help vols! If you are done moving in, go out and ask if anybody else needs help. This is a great way to meet new people and also help everyone get settled into their new home on Rocky Top!