Unity And Friendship Is Shown Off In Rio

Despite the negativity following the Rio Olympics, a sense of unity and friendship waved across the games just when the world needed it most.

26
SMSP Rio 2016

As the 2016 Summer Olympics come to an end, we have witnessed some of the greats, such as Michael Phelps, Simone Biles, Katie Ledecky and Lilly King, just to name a few. That is just the United States who happened to take away 86 and counting in medals this Olympics.

As I have watched some of my favorite events and athletes and have been cheering them on in my living room, I jog my memory back to the opening ceremonies on August 5.

I believe it was on everyone's mind. The way the world has seemed to fall apart with multiple attacks on multiple cities and how it has torn us all apart, no matter where we live or who we associate with. But the opening ceremonies for the Olympics expressed unity. Even after the opening ceremony the concept of unity and togetherness remained during competitive play. Many times during swimming heats I would notice countries and athletes congratulate each other on a good heat or a medal won and after track and field races you'd see athletes hug for a job well done.

Language isn't a barrier, religious isn't a hindrance, and political standings don't create a riot.

Despite the many problems that the hosting city and the Olympic committee ran into during the games––a green pool that smelled like a giant fart, rowers getting sick due to the water they were competing in, robberies and violence on the streets and constant conversation about the Russian Doping Scandal that has plagued the Olympics and the Russian team––Rio, Brazil and the Olympics kept going.

Unity is what this world needed during the Olympics. Many, including myself, were skeptical about how nations would react to countries like Iraq and Syria entering the opening ceremony. But, when France, Germany and the newly-minted Refugee Olympic Team came out of the Olympic tunnel there was an overwhelming roar of the crowd. After tragedies plagued Paris, Munich and multiple other cities, the crowd told the countries that they are with them, cheering with them and thanking them for being here.

The first ever Refugee Olympic Team brought chills up and down my spine when they walked out. Standing ovations throughout the stadium showed the overwhelming support of the people; no matter what nationality, religion or political standing a person may be in the stands, they were, at that moment, a fan and a supporter of these refugees who were displaced from their homes and countries due to violence and war.

It was at that moment during the opening ceremonies that I realized despite all the negative talk about how Rio would be a disappointment as a host city, it wouldn't matter. Anything that went wrong during the Olympics simply didn't matter—no matter how green the diving pool was.

The medals are great hardware for countries and athletes to show off, but the feeling of unity among the countries and athletes makes those medals even sweeter.

The end of the Olympics is bittersweet for many, fans and athletes alike. But if there is one thing to be taken away from these games is the utmost amount of unity and friendship that we witnessed throughout the Olympics.

As the post-Olympic news beginnings and some of these athletes become obsolete, we remember what it was like for three weeks in August, when the world came together as one to play and compete in some of the best games in the world.