United We Stand, Divided We Fall

United We Stand, Divided We Fall

Why Donald Trump is not the enemy

48
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

In light of this week’s events following the Presidential Election results, I’ve done some reflecting. I’ve observed the behaviors of people around me; their words, actions, and demeanors. I have witnessed people console one another, act bitterly toward one another, and I’ve seen others completely shut down. I have seen people take a humorous approach to dealing with their emotions. I’ve been notified of “grief counseling” available. Amongst all of this, all I have done is sit back, and appreciate the unique piece of history that is occurring right before my eyes.

As a student in New York City, I am well aware of the riots, protests, and violence that have broken out as a result to Donald Trump being elected the 45th President of the United States. However, unlike many of my peers, I am not a person who feels individually threatened or afraid due to this outcome. I am not a person who fears what the future President Trump may do, or not do, to and for this country. This is not because I am white. This is not because I am straight. This is not because I am Christian. This is because I have faith - in God, in this country, in the universe, and in humanity.

I understand why Hillary Clinton’s supporters are deeply upset and angered. It is never easy to hope and dream for a certain outcome, to voice your opinion and vote on it, just to see it fall short of being achieved. I also understand why Donald Trump’s supporters are celebrating. They trust that our new president will bring the change that they hope to see in this country. Each of us who casted a vote on November 8, 2016, regardless of who it was in favor of, did so with our own set of concerns for the future of this country. I understand that the United States is a democracy, and we are all entitled to our own opinions. However, what I do not understand, is why we are arguing, fighting, and disrespecting each other, ourselves, and this nation that we are all so blessed to live in.

Donald Trump and his presidency do not scare me. What scares me is how Americans are treating their fellow Americans right now. Do we not understand that we all live in the same country? That we will all be affected by what our new president chooses to do, both the good and the bad? I do not think it has occurred to some people that President Trump may actually do our country some good. He could make improvements. He could make everything worse. This can go one of two ways, but only time will tell. The key word there is time. Our lives are not going to change drastically over night due to the presidency. They will, however, change over night, if we continue to treat each other prejudicially, racistly, judgmentally, and violently. Our nation will divide faster than anyone will be able to fathom. The ironic part? It will not be Donald Trump’s fault. It will be our fault.

A president does not unite a nation. The nation’s people unite the nation. If you have concerns due to this election, I’m with you. Our concerns may not be the same, but I feel with you, nonetheless. Our country certainly does need help right now, and although everyone may not see eye to eye on the reasons why, we all feel emotions in the same way. Fear, anger, confusion - they feel the same, regardless of your skin, your gender, your orientation, or your religion. Right now, we do not need the government. We need each other.

In a time of division and conflict, here’s our call to action: Unite. Friendship, kindness, and respect are not political. Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, or anyone else for that matter, do not have any control over how you treat your Jewish neighbors. How you treat your gay coworkers. How you treat your Democratic friends and your Republican family. How you treat the stranger sitting next to you on the train with a different skin color. Wake up. If you think the United States is divided, stop looking for someone to blame. Instead, be the change you wish to see.