Don't Be Scared To Unfollow Toxic People

Don't Be Scared To Unfollow People That Are Toxic To Your Wellbeing

Learn to let it go.

535
Denisse Flores

Social Media. In literal means, two simple words that make our modern world go round. As if social media wasn't already toxic enough by putting unrealistic pressure to look like someone who doesn't even look like they do in their pictures; imagine voluntarily following pages that make you feel bad on the inside. Sadly, this is an action I admit being guilty of committing and I am pretty sure a lot of you out there, do too. Even indirectly.

In the past, I have been a person that has wanted to adopt a 'mature' mindset and as a result, I have just kept unnecessary burdens on myself. Think about that person who you distanced yourself from because they were either toxic or simply not a positive addition to your life. Maybe you became really close to a human being at one time and they ended up betraying you in ways you never thought of being possible. Maybe you did not go through all of this but everyone has been through a friendship breakup once in their lives.

The real question is if you cut off a person from your life, wouldn't it be logical to cut them off from your virtual space as well? This is a question that took me long to figure out since I have always thought that being "the bigger person" in an argument would just mean not unfollowing the people who did me wrong. I used to consider that those who were immature were the human beings that actually took the time off their day just to delete a person who brought them a bad memory. In my past mindset, keeping those people who weren't present in my life anymore would be the right answer until I saw how it affected my mental health.

After observing how much of my day would be ruined by seeing the name of a person who did me wrong in my social media, I realized that I was the only one to blame by putting myself through that needless torture. In the past, people who I have had beef with have unfriended and even unfollowed me and now their actions which I saw as immature before, I see them in a heroic light. The truth is, why would you want to keep someone who does not like your posts, or simply has you in their followers' list just to criticize every move you make? The whole thing process is very petty if you think about it and you would be surprised how many people still do this. Therefore, I want to motivate others to not commit my same mistake of holding on to toxic people just for the fear of being seen as childish.

Once you let that fear go, and remove those people off your timeline, trust me, it will feel liberating. Remember that what you see virtually is what you breathe in. Focus on the people who truly love you unconditionally, uplift your mood and fill you with positive vibes. Once you stop living under the shadow of society and become selfish with your mental energy, things will change for the better. You have to learn to let go.