Understanding the Other Side

Understanding the Other Side

Introverts vs . Extroverts

48
Understanding the Other Side

Introverts VS. Extroverts

10 Things Extroverts need to Know About Introverts

1) Typically an extrovert can hold their emotions on the outside and make it clear to others who they are. For an introvert to be totally honest about everything is a huge deal. It is scarey and nearly impossible for someone who is naturally reserved to give someone else every secret they have reserved for themselves. If they give you everything, or even just a piece of the secrets that they hold, it is a huge deal and they need to be able to trust you completely.

2) Staying inside, and keeping away from the exhausting world outside is fun and safe. People can be scary or anxiety inducing and can exhaust an introvert. Friends can even be exhausting, even if they are still dearly loved by an introverted person. It is important to note that giving this introverted person a break inside and alone in their home is important to allow them to recharge. Not all introverts need much time, but some require a full day of rest after a full day of the outside world.

3) Most people often need some space. Having alone time and a personal space bubble is important to how an introvert interacts with other people. Sufficient physical space around an introverted person can help them feel less crowded and more comfortable in friendship and conversation. It's also important to note that some people who tend to be more introverted do not have space issues, but it’s important to ask so that you don't hug or get intimately close to someone and make them uncomfortable.

4) Take a look at number five. Now read it again. And again. Often introverts have thought over something very thoroughly, but need to have the idea or emotion heard out loud. Listening is the key to helping this person feel loved and accepted. Listening without interruption to an entire idea, emotion or concept gives you time to create feedback to the idea, but gives the speaker time to completely finish their thought. To help an introvert feel loved and accepted, never interrupt them. Never. It gives the appearance that you do not care about what they are saying, even if that is not your intension.

5) This is terrifying. I look at this girl and these words, and not even knowing her, I already “need space” from her. Bye crazy. This is way, way to intimate for nearly any person to handle, let alone an introvert.

6) In writing, introverts tend to excel because they have time to consider an issue and give it the fair time it deserves. The more preparation they give themselves, the better. Often enough though, this all goes downhill when they are in front of a crowd or in person because conversation requires being good at improv. A lot of the time, an introvert will prepare for speeches with care, and also prepare for tough conversations in the same way. Preparing for a hard conversation allows them to feel like their entire opinion is clear and will be heard by the recipient. Writing down their thoughts and opinions to use in the conversation can be an easy way for them to order their thoughts, so that they do not forget any of their own points. The anxiety that is felt when someone puts an introvert on the spot, or in front of an audience can cause them to lose all preparation, which is unfair when they have already considered an issue deeply. Giving an introvert time to prepare, as well as grace when they are unable to order their thoughts, is an easy way to help them prevent embarrassment.

7) Online is a safe haven for introverts to interact with the world around them in their own way. They are allowed to think and consider and even have friendships that are well thought out and strong because it takes much of the social anxiety away.

8) Being told that what gives you anxiety is simple is never helpful. Everyone has anxieties and fears. Everyone has something that makes them physically anxious. For introverts, it is important to remember that their anxiety is justified, but that it does not have to define them. They can still live a happy life as long as their anxieties are not dismissed by their friends and family.

9) This is simple. Leaving is better than staying because it gives the introvert less anxiety than having to stay at a party and be talked to. They may not want to say the wrong thing to others, or they may just be physically exhausted by people. Either way, small gatherings are often more fun and more intimate for an introvert.

10) Introverts still want to have their voices heard, even if they do not want to talk very much and in front of very many people. Social media and digital communication provides a good way for an introvert to feel united with other people.

10 Things Introverts Need to Understand about Extroverts- Kiara Lindstrom (number 10 is that we’re awesome.) ;)

1) “I can’t handle me sometimes… that’s why I need you….” No seriously, we need people. If we don’t have them around we get really sad and depressed. We no longer act like ourselves. So… Don’t lock us up….. In a bunker… in Siberia…. That wouldn’t be fun…. I’d have to change my name to Kimmy….

2) In the end, we are all great!

Extroverts get along so well with introverts for one main reason…. You let us talk. But you’re pretty great in other ways too :)

3) Haha ok, there is some truth to this.

Ok, so yeah… sometimes we need to be called out on how much we talk. Trust me, as long as you’re not being super mean we won’t get offended.

4) It’s ok, I’ll just tell who I told not to tell.

We can keep secrets, it’s just really really hard...

5) Uh huh…

Sometimes we get over involved. This makes us great counselors, but horrible counselors because we will probably not do as much listening as you need… I apologise in advance….

6) Which leads me to this one…. I actually do love listening, but If I feel like there’s a problem I naturally try to fix it. I’m sorry, I really don’t do it on purpose.

7) I promise we don’t try to be annoying, it’s just that a lot of things excite us… Don’t kill my joy…. ;)

“But that leaf that I clearly ran out of my way to step on was extraordinarily crunchy!!!”

8) Soooooo yeah, I guess you just need to know what type of person you are talking to. If an introvert thinks that they will be rude when they’re talking to an extrovert... they’re probably not. Extroverts are usually face to face/quality time people. We like spending time with you. If it ever gets too much, just say you need some down time, we’ll get it.

9) Noooooooo!!!!!! It hurts! Please, is there anybody to talk to….. Wait.. I hear something….. Is that you wilson?!

Never… Ever…. Tell me that silence is golden. Silence is painful. So please, if you don’t want to talk, at least turn on the radio or something….

10) Ok, so while we are awesome ;) you might be thinking…. “So extroverts don’t EVER need alone time?!” No, sometimes we need alone time too… We just usually like being around and talking to people. If we were always around other people homework would never get done…. So seriously, if I’m doing homework do me a favor and excuse yourself. If you don’t I’ll probably end up hanging out with you and flunking that assignment (or staying up way too late to get it done and as a result be really crabby tomorrow.)