Underrated Metal Band: Jinjer

Underrated Metal Band: Jinjer

Some bands deserve some recognition.
264

I like to go surfing through metal bands on YouTube once in a while. It helps when I'm looking for something different and something I haven't heard before. That being said, I was startled when I discovered Ukranian metal band Jinjer — a band that's been around since 2009. What startled me wasn't just the fact that I had never heard of Jinjer before, but the little amount of exposure they were getting for how good they are.

Here's the song I dug up on Youtube. I was hooked the moment it started.

Not only can this band pull its weight, but they have successfully blended a mosh pit of metal subgenres into one loud, thrashing song. Frontwoman Tatiana Shmaiyuk produces guttural growls and melodic vocals, reaching every end of the vocal spectrum. She's up there with Alissa White-Gluz of Arch Enemy and Chris Fronzak of Attila. While that's a pretty dynamic comparison to make, I will stand by it. Shmaiyuk has undeniable talent and prowess.

She can hold her own live, too. That's not something a lot of musicians can attest to, as sometimes metal vocalists utilize distortions on recordings to make their screaming sound heavier.

Jinjer brings the energy. And while they are being recognized, many of their music videos haven't even reached half a million views. It's better than some, but it's also incredibly disappointing, as they deserve much more attention than that. Views aren't always something bands can manage, as they are at the behest of public opinion and exposure, but it is still shocking nonetheless that Jinjer has such a small amount of it.

Here's one more video if you're not hooked yet.

You can learn more about the band from their official website, Facebook page and, most importantly, by looking up more of their music.