10 Underrated Disney Classics To Add To Your Watchlist

5. “The Rescuers” (1977)

129
YouTube

When it comes to quality entertainment, Walt Disney Studios is most certainly hard to beat. In its almost 100 years of activity, Disney has generated an enormous library of critically and commercially successful films, from the likes of “Snow White and the Seven Dwarves” in the studio’s early days to last year’s “Zootopia.” But the Disney library, like many prolific catalogues, often has those spots that are sometimes briefly forgotten or outright omitted from the public consciousness.

The list below celebrates what I feel are the ten most underrated films in Disney history, both live-action and animated. These are films that are actually quite enjoyable, but are often overlooked for some reason or another, be it polarized opinion, bad box office numbers and/or the passage of time. So without further ado, let’s get right into the list.

10. “The Princess and the Frog” (2009)

I put this one pretty low on the list because it’s pretty well-known and fairly modern. So how then is it underrated when it has a decent amount of exposure, even at Disney theme parks? I think part of it might be because when most people talk about Disney princess movies nowadays, minds immediately jump to the likes of a certain movie involving a princess with ice powers voiced by Idina Menzel. Yes, I refuse to use the name of said film, because to do so is redundant at this point. I digress.

“Princess and the Frog” has such a unique and lively identity, helped by its surprising choice to focus not on a fictional, romanticized kingdom, but the culturally diverse city of New Orleans and the surrounding swamplands. Of course, there are still some fantasy and mystical elements, but there’s a humble, down-to-earth nature to the film that cannot be ignored. It’s a choice that makes the characters and the overall themes more impactful in the long run. Lest we forget the wonderful musical score as well; jazz is the soul of the film’s musical numbers, and it adds a layer of spice and variety to the typical Disney musical formula.

9. “Pocahontas” (1995)

“Pocahontas” is a fairly well-known film, but like “Princess and the Frog,” it’s definitely not as popular as other Disney films nowadays. Unlike the latter, however, “Pocahontas” isn’t really as popular for a number of reasons, chief among them the sanitized version of American colonial history presented and the overall more serious tone compared to previous and present Disney films.

All things considered, though, I don’t feel that these problems should dissuade people from seeing the film. What liberties it takes with American history are not to gloss over atrocity, but to further drive home the point that the wounds of atrocity can only be healed through compassion and compromise. It is serious, but only to prevent the story from becoming ham-fisted or too cartoony. Overall, “Pocahontas” is a Disney film that takes risks--and, for the most part, reaps surprisingly entertaining returns.

8. “Atlantis: The Lost Empire” (2001)

When I was a kid, I found out very quickly that films like “Raiders of the Lost Ark” and the original “Star Wars” were my bread and butter. So when I watched “Atlantis: The Lost Empire” for the first time, I was naturally very hyped. Even to this day, it stands as not only a good kind of different for Disney, but a visually pleasing and engaging film.

Admittedly, the character development could have been a little better, but don’t think for a second that “Atlantis” was done without any effort. Without a doubt, “Atlantis” is a solid action-adventure film with some interesting set pieces and a concise, tight screenplay. From the arresting opening sequence to the final action sequence, “Atlantis” seeks to dazzle and wow the eye, and manages to do so pretty well. If you’re the type that likes to see things explode or get chased, then perhaps “Atlantis: The Lost Empire” is well worth your while.

7. “James and the Giant Peach” (1996)

Based on the Roald Dahl children’s book of the same name, “James and the Giant Peach” takes on the rather ambitious task of merging live-action segments with animation. And not just any kind of animation; it’s stop motion, which of course involves plenty of painstaking work and especially a capable hand in the director’s seat. Fitting, then, that director Henry Selick--the director of “The Nightmare Before Christmas”--is at the helm for what undoubtedly is a delightful, lighthearted and fun adventure.

“James” moves beautifully with its stop motion animation, injecting life and originality into all of the strange marvels and dire perils the titular James and his friends encounter. Just as with “Nightmare,” the stop motion elements give the film a visual aesthetic that brings to mind a fairy tale, and a creative one at that. Beyond the stunning animation, the film offers a spellbinding journey to new lands and a simple but heartwarming and exciting story. “James and the Giant Peach” may not be as well known as other children’s films, but that doesn’t at all mean it’s not worth your time.

6. “The Emperor’s New Groove” (2000)

The premise of “The Emperor’s New Groove” is, quite frankly, stupid. Honestly, it’s about a fictional Incan emperor who gets turned into a llama; in the wrong hands, it’s a movie that’s dead on arrival. But of course, this is Disney we’re talking about; if they can make movies where you sympathize with fish or toys, they can make you accept a man turning into a llama with a straight face.

Here’s the kicker: the movie knows it’s silly, and it rolls with it. The titular Emperor Kuzco’s escapades are never taken too seriously, nor are the moral lessons and themes of the film sold too ham-fistedly; everything is done very tongue-in-cheek, like the constant fourth-wall-breaking narration provided by Kuzco. We also can’t overlook the enthusiastic and wonderful vocal performances, from David Spade’s funny and endearing turn as Kuzco to the talented Eartha Kitt playing the villainous Yzma with aplomb. It’s unconventional for a Disney film to be sure, and certainly far-fetched, but the film never manages to be a bore nor be too loud and dumb to enjoy.

5. “The Rescuers” (1977)

During the late 70s, Disney’s list of smash-hit animated films started to thin. Gone was the success of films like “Snow White and the Seven Dwarves” or “Peter Pan”; while the studio wasn’t necessarily bankrupt when it came to creative ideas or money, it was clear that some steam had been lost. As a result, “The Rescuers” fits into a lengthy transitional phase in Disney’s history, bridging the gap between the success of the 50s and 60s and the boom that would start with “The Little Mermaid” in the late 80s. So how does it hold up as a transitional piece?

The answer is quite well, actually. “The Rescuers” is a comical and whimsical adventure film with some pretty spot-on animation, made possible in part by animation legend Don Bluth. The diverse visuals, alongside a robust script, help to make the characters of the film memorable and unique. Perhaps the most noteworthy strength is the chemistry between actors Bob Newhart and Eva Gabor, who lend their voices to protagonists Bernard and Bianca, respectively; there’s an undeniable charm that their characters’ interactions have, and that’s most certainly due to the phenomenal voice work. It may have come forth at a relatively low point in the Disney timeline, but “The Rescuers” showed that the studio still had the chops for quality animated films.

4. “Meet the Robinsons” (2007)

What’s up with all of these sci-fi movies showing us crappy versions of the future? Sure, I love films like “The Matrix” or “The Terminator” just like a lot of people, but I know I’m not the only one who thinks we should get a film that shows a good future once in a while. I’d like to think humanity isn’t that screwed later on down the line.

This sentiment is echoed to some extent in “Meet the Robinsons.” The film is a neat little tribute to all those Art Deco-style visions of the future, providing a beautiful futuristic backdrop for a touching story about moving forward and trying to come to grips with the pains or mistakes of the past. It excels at being truly human and earnest with its good-natured tone and off-kilter character interactions. Showing that a good future is made by people who look ahead, “Meet the Robinsons” is a funny, sincere Disney film that deserves to be watched and owned.

3. “The Rocketeer” (1991)

Friends, allow me to introduce you to director Joe Johnston. Johnston is a director who enjoys working on movies of spectacle, including his debut film, “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids,” and a certain other movie involving a guy who throws an American flag-colored shield around. If you like the latter, I refer your attention to “The Rocketeer.”

“The Rocketeer,” like that other superhero period piece movie, is not the most complex or deep of films, but it knows how to have fun. The characters, though simple, are portrayed well and have heart, the action is explosive and eye-catching and the story moves at a reasonably brisk pace. In a way, this basic approach fits the time period the film is set in: a time where the idea of a hero was something fantastical, an idea to look up to and emulate somehow. Like the best comic books, “The Rocketeer” soars high with the wings of pure escapism.

2. “Treasure Planet” (2002)

A year before audiences were introduced to Captain Jack Sparrow, Disney tried their hand at another movie with pirates--space pirates, to be exact. “Treasure Planet” is a fantastically animated and engaging sci-fi reimagining of the Robert Louis Stevenson novel “Treasure Island.”

I could talk for a while about the adventurous story and excellent voice cast, but I’d like to specifically focus on the level of animation we’re dealing with here. “Treasure Planet” was nominated for an Oscar for Best Animated Feature, and it shows; the backdrops, the character designs, the locales and the action are all so detailed, fluid and marvelous. It’s hard not to think of the likes of George Lucas or Steven Spielberg when looking at the effortful craftsmanship put into the environments and the people and creatures in them. Sweeping, grand and all kinds of exhilarating, “Treasure Planet” is a ship that you should definitely set sail on.

1. “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” (1996)

“The Hunchback of Notre Dame” is a movie that’s all about risks. In its production, it made the decision to aim for more mature messages and themes. In its story, the deformed Quasimodo dares to leave his secluded church home to be among normal people for once. In both, the risks pay off immensely.

“Hunchback” is without a doubt one of the most adult Disney films ever made, and that’s certainly a good thing. While most may credit “The Lion King” or similar works for displaying Disney’s ability to hook in older audiences, I think “Hunchback” doesn’t deserve to be overlooked. The film simply wouldn’t be as real or distinct had it chosen to dial back its complex discussions on ostracism and bigotry. Some may argue that the religious overtones and dark storytelling aren’t for children, but I’d argue that children, just like adults, benefit from seeing the world as it is; in a lot of respects, “Hunchback” tackles that gracefully. “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” is a masterfully animated film with great songs, a powerful voice cast and a deep, compelling story.

There are many other Disney films that have fallen by the wayside in recent years; I would most certainly suggest seeking out these films, as you may find some surprises along the way. Like a big sea, the pantheon of Disney works is expansive and full of great wonders, but if you dig really deep--into corners that most people have skimmed over--you might find some really great treasures.