Underground Bands From Metro Atlanta You Should Hear

A small sampling of what the Peach state has to offer in indie rock

111
Dub Foster

The area surrounding Atlanta is one of immense musical talent. From downtown to Gwinnett County, all the way to the coast, the urban areas of Georgia are full of people creating good tunes. Here is a small and incomplete list of some bands to get you started.

Fantasy Guys - Atlanta

Hands down one of the funkiest bands to ever walk the earth, Fantasy Guys are a band intent on making you feel comfortable. Comfort seems to be their defining characteristic, and it is a goal that is taken to admirable lengths. The only movement they are interested in is "Surfin' on a Wave of Juice" and "Going on a Chill Walk", as evidenced by their track titles. The music contained within is even more relaxed than the titles might suggest. Soft and jazzy guitars rub up against easy-going synths of the cheesy 80s variety while other pastel timbres abound. This is perhaps their most impressive trait: Fantasy Guys are able to pull off organic textures such as electric guitar, bass, vibraphone, and occasionally flute, all in conjunction with tinny drum machines and classic Casio synthesizers.

Lucky for us, comfort never goes out of style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmpATCuZfR8

https://fantasyguys.bandcamp.com/album/on-poppy-island

Triathalon - Savannah

Triathalon are not technically from the Metro Atlanta area, but their impact is felt far from just their hometown of Savannah. A friend of mine recommended this band to me after seeing them in a small Georgia college town in front of a barely double digits crowd. He told me of the confusion at such a small crowd which he expressed to the kind members of the band upon meeting them. Triathalon's hard work seems to be paying off, as their upcoming EP Cold Shower comes right alongside a much better attended nationwide tour.

Triathalons' strength comes from their unpredictability. The dad jeans and flowy hair probably bring to mind any of the hundreds of post-chillwave wannabe Mac DeMarco types (and hearing the amount of chorus pedals in their tunes might not dissuade you), but this band seems to thrive on sleight of hand. Mellow keyboards can give way to post-punk atmospheres before morphing into quick-paced surf rock jams, all within the space of a single song. The impending EP's teaser tracks and descriptions claim we're in for a handful of R&B infused slow jams, so it appears Triathalon are going to continue surprising and doing whatever they want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uizlu-KoYY

https://triathalon.bandcamp.com/album/nothing-bothers-me

The Pellys - Grayson

The youngest band on this list, and with the slimmest output (one official single so far), the Pellys are nonetheless a very real player in local music within the Atlanta area. Hailing from the beautifully placeless suburb of Grayson, the Pellys label themselves a surf rock band, and they often embody what people look for in surfing- abandon, motion, and release, but never at the expense of a good time. On stage, the reverb-heavy guitars and classic chord patterns walk the line between dreamy and intense. Pair this with Ian Buford's growl that will surely soon be recognized instantly by any self-respecting fan of indie rock. You have a band who recognizes those who came before without being anyone other than themselves.

https://thepellys.bandcamp.com/releases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8unOxT3O0o