Underappreciated Study Tips To Get You Through Finals
Education

5 Underappreciated Study Tips To Get You Through This Semester's Finals

As finals roll around, it's normal to feel overwhelmed by the number of classes you need to review and study material for.

110

As finals approach us, you might be feeling an impending doom of all the work that you need to complete and material you need to study. As in any point in life, it is important to believe in your capabilities to 'do the thing', but in this case, it also takes some measurable action.

1. The Pomodoro method

The Pomodoro method is an interesting tool used for staying on task, and there are various versions of it which you can look up. One popular version, though, is working for 25 minutes and then taking a five-minute break, repeating the sequence a few times. After, take a longer 10-minute break before returning to work. The website tomato-timer.com is built just for this! And, always let yourself build up to the max amount of time you can study without losing focus - whether it's more or less than 25 minutes.

2. 5-minute meditations

When it's time for those five-minute breaks, a great option to help clear the brain is a five-minute meditation. Using the app called Simple Habit lets you choose the type of exercise you want to do based on how much time you have available! It's a great way to calm yourself down and let more oxygen into the brain.

3. Set a study schedule

As finals roll around, it's normal to feel overwhelmed by the number of classes you need to review and study material for. Now, we've all heard to break everything into little chunks, but how exactly is that done in this case? Well, set study days! Allocate specific days (or parts of days if it gets to be too much) for a certain subject. That way, you can spend some quality time making sure you understand the material and are able to practice it without interruption.

4. Use YouTube videos

Sometimes, we can underestimate the power of a good Youtube video. I know that when I'm stuck on a problem, I tend to shy away from watching videos because they're usually around 10 minutes or longer. It sounds like a lot, but I think there's a tendency to see it solely as a video. What I mean is that if someone sends you a video or you find a video on a topic you're interested in and the video is 10 minutes long, you're more likely to go ahead and find a shorter video or not watch anything at all. However, think of it like this - spending 10 minutes on this video is saving you at least 30 minutes of trying to figure out what's going on just by looking at your notes or trying to ask someone. So, take the risk and watch that video!

5. Recharge with energizing foods

As you're studying, don't be afraid to have iced tea, lemonade, infused water, fruit, etc. with you! It can really keep you going and give your brain the fuel it needs to stay focused. Also, avoiding heavier foods will ensure that you won't feel lethargic while trying to study. Sip away!