Why I Am Sometimes Uncomfortable Being Pro-Choice

No, I'm not mean, I hate the idea of dead babies too!

10
YouTube

With the upcoming presidential election, it seems the word "abortion" has been more frequently used in casual conversations. Everywhere I go friends and colleagues discuss their opinions on Hillary, Trump, and all of the wonderful and horrible aspects and values that democrats and republicans support. I go to a small Catholic school, and it seems that I am often outnumbered when it comes to discussing the pros and cons of such a delicate and complicated topic, so I've decided to tell the world why I'm pro-choice.

To start, I want to clarify that I am NOT pro-abortion. I'm pro-choice. This means I believe women should have the option to abort their pregnancy (up to a certain time in the pregnancy), no matter how evil and cruel that makes me sound.

But even when I state this, I fear that my friends and co-workers will call me a "baby-killer," someone who dreams of murdering children and laughing at the possibility of unborn fetuses. Because that is not the case at all. I hate the idea of a dead fetus. I hate the idea of a woman being put through this difficult situation, and having to make such a horrendous and life-changing decision. But I also think that this decision (no matter how difficult) should be left up to the woman to choose.

One of my favorite teachers in middle school once told me that "The abortion argument is about choices, choices are what's at stake" and that really resonated with me. Because I COMPLETELY understand why some people are pro-life, and I completely understand why Catholic Social Teachings claim that every being is entitled the "right to life." But I also stand for the women who deserve to make this decision on their own. I stand for free choices, even if the outcome of these choices seem to have sad endings.

And that's why I feel uncomfortable expressing my support of the pro-choice cause. Because I believe that politicians shouldn't be making these decisions for women, women should be making these choices themselves. And if that makes me a "baby killer" then I think that's a damn shame. Because I can't wait to be a mother, and have children of my own, but I can understand why some women do not feel this way. At the end of the day I support the freedom of choices, but I respect others' opinions and realize that everyone thinks and feels differently on this sensitive subject.