A Different Pro-Life Perspective

A Different Pro-Life Perspective

What it truly means to be pro-life and why we should all strive to respect all of humankind.

174
A Different Pro-Life Perspective
nowwithnicole.com

There seems to be a never-ending debate about abortion. The two sides in the argument, "pro-life" and "pro-choice" have spent decades going back and forth. To call yourself "pro-life" is much more than just being against abortion. Many people claim to be "pro-life" without fully understanding what it means. This is the perspective that two people with two different beliefs can come together on.

On Sept. 22, De'Jhane Lee posted something on Facebook that surprised me and grabbed my attention. She simply asked, "To my pro-life friends, what does being pro-life mean to you? What do you consider being pro-life to mean?" Thankfully I was scrolling through my news feed and I was moved to answer. I hate confrontation, arguments and fighting more than anything in the world. What I do love is sharing my beliefs, love, and kindness with others. I was moved by De'Jhane's question and I felt the need to share my perspective, one she may not have heard before. There are very few times where I have been proud to start a conversation on a controversial topic. This was one of them.

I commented on her status by starting off saying how much I respect her and know what a great person she is. Just because we don't have the same beliefs doesn't mean that she is not a dear friend of mine. This is honestly the first place where people go wrong when talking about controversial topics, especially over social media/texting. They forget that a person is actually behind the screen and that most of the time, it is someone they know and love. In summary, I told De'Jhane that I am a Catholic woman and I believe that being pro life is respecting life at every stage, from conception to natural death. To me this includes the unborn, the elderly, the sick, those facing the death penalty, the poor, and everyone else. I know that there are many people who claim to be "pro-life", yet they make no efforts to fight for the rights of the poor or for those who live in countries where freedom does not exist. Pro-lifer's who fight for women to keep their unborn children should also fight to protect those lives after birth. The same people who march the streets in Washington D.C. every January for the anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision should be feeding the hungry and giving to the poor. The number one reason why I am pro-life is not only because I am a woman of faith, but because I am simply human. What right-minded human being wishes pain on someone else? Who wants the poor to suffer and the elderly to be alone? Nobody.

In my mind, I believe that every human should be pro-life. Yes, abortion is probably the most controversial aspect of the "pro-life" phenomena, but there is something both pro-lifers and pro-choicers can learn from each other. So before you judge someone based on their beliefs, take a moment to realize that they are human, just like you and no person is better or greater than another.

On September 22, I posted a question on Facebook that I was sure would garner numerous attacks and more than a few foul words: "To my pro-life friends, what does being pro-life mean to you? What do you consider being pro-life to mean?" Instead of harsh words, I was given unique and respectful responses.

One that stuck out to me, and caused others to follow, was Laura's. What brought about my question was an article posted by Traci Schmidley. Through the telling of a story about a family trip to the grocery store, Schmidley acknowledged a hypocrisy I, too, often saw in the pro-life movement. People would loudly (and proudly) proclaim to be pro-life while, in the same breath, bashing gays, speaking against government welfare and assistance, and degrading the poor.

My observations astounded me. How could someone be pro-life if (s)he didn't cherish all lives and want all people to prosper? It appeared that instead of being pro-life, these people were pro-birth and pro-life (if you live your life according to everything I say and believe). The pro-life movement was a series of hypocritical statements.

I, personally, am pro-choice. I believe a woman alone should have the authority to say what will and will not be done to her body. My personal opinions don't matter for the sake that they are just that: my personal opinions. My opinions should not be forced upon anyone else. To each her own.

This is why Laura's statement stood out so much.

Here was a pro-life, young woman my age that felt the same way I did in regards to helping the poor, struggling families, and essentially anyone that needs the help. She said the things I was thinking. Her pro-life stance is one that addresses more than birth. It addresses helping the mother if she chooses to give birth, helping the homeless and poor, and even reaches out to people facing the death penalty. (I am against the death penalty myself.)

Seeing how many people publicly, and privately, agreed with Laura showed me a divide I previously overlooked. First are those I deem the "Equality Pro-Lifers." This group consist of people who have an ideology like Laura's. Equality Pro-Lifers care about everyone equally. While they oppose abortion, they realize that there are other people that need help as well. Every life matters and every fetus matters. The other group is one I deem the "Political Pro-Lifers." This group consists of people that, for lack of better words, are simply pro-birth. They want every fetus to be born, but couldn't care less about what happened after that. Political Pro-Lifers don't believe in giving out government assistance or welfare, despite how badly the mother needs it. They are often found saying that if someone can't afford a baby, they shouldn't have had sex and gotten pregnant. (I bet four people just popped into your mind.)

As I've stated before, I'm pro-choice. I believe no woman should be told by the government or any other source what she should or shouldn't do with her body or any part of it. It isn't my business. I don't know everyone's circumstances and situations and will not pretend to. While Laura didn't change my stance on the situation, she did shine a new light on it from "the other side."