23 Unbelievable Things That Happened During Texas' Snow Storm
News

Yeah, all of this really happened.

66
Nissa Diaz

As a Texan, when I heard a snowstorm was coming, I was definitely not prepared. I figured maybe it meant enough snow to take some cute pictures, and then it would all be melted by the morning. Boy was I wrong.

I could not have anticipated this storm meaning rolling outages or in some cases major blackouts, major crashes and impossible to drive roads, and worst of all, even deaths. Through these catastrophic times, who would you look to? Your leaders, right? Well in Texas' case - wrong.

Here are 23 unbelievable things that happened during Texas' snowstorm.

1. Our Texas state Senator heading to Cancun... during the snow storm

Ted Cruz Travel GIF by GIPHY NewsGiphy

Yeah, you read that right, our Texas state Senator Ted Cruz packed up himself and his family and left for Cancun. He left behind his constituents and dog to freeze and deal with power outages and lack of food supply. He claimed he was going to drop off his family, however, it was reported he bought his plane ticket back to Texas at 6:45 am the next morning after the story broke.

2. Our governor made memes on Twitter

Instead of providing information, trying to ease the public's anxieties, or working towards a solution, Governor Greg Abbott made memes on Twitter.

3. Our former Governor claimed we would rather have no power over federal intervention

Not sure who former Governor Rick Perry was speaking for when he claimed Texans would rather take no power over Federal intervention of our power grid, but it certainly wasn't Texans who lacked power.

4. False information about wind turbines abounded

Not only did Governor Greg Abbott fail to provide solutions, but he also further provided misinformation about the power grid. He claimed this was a result of the Green New Deal (which isn't in effect) and Wind Turbines (which wasn't true).

5. Texans died from hypothermia

Last week's snowstorm was also unfortunately deadly.

6. ERCOT members resigned after the power outages 

After ERCOT's major failure, it was discovered some of the board members don't even reside in Texas. Or didn't that is, as ERCOT board members are now resigning.

7. A mayor in Texas told everyone to "suck it up" - and then resigned

While Texans were struggling for basic necessities such as power and water, this Colorado City mayor told his constituents to "suck it up," and that "only the strong will survive." Yeah, this really happened.

8. Despite Texans having power outages, some electricity bills sky-rocketed

Despite most of Texas being without power, some Texans are receiving sky-high electricity bills.

9. AOC was a key-player in stepping-up for Texans

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (Representative for New York's 14th District) ended up being one of the ones to raise the most money and aid for Texas. Yeah, a New York Representative came to Texas' aid.

10. A Black Texas teen was arrested for walking home in the snow 

You read that right, a Black Texas teen was arrested for simply walking home with groceries during the snowstorm. His groceries never made it home as he was in jail for the night. Police have since dropped the charge of, "being a pedestrian in a roadway."

11. Grocery stores in Texas were wiped out 

H-E-B (which is the Texas grocery store) was completely wiped out in most places and had to issue a statement about supply levels.

12. ERCOT, which failed Texas, made snippy tweets

While millions of Texans were without power, ERCOT's social media team was busy making snappy tweets.

13. ERCOT was allowed to raise prices 

Because electricity was now a scarcity, ERCOT was allowed to raise prices.

14. There was a deadly 100+ car pileup 

twitter.com

On the first day of icy and untreated roads, there was a deadly 100+ car pileup that kept the Interstate closed for hours.

15. It was so cold in Texas that ceiling fans were frozen 

This is how cold it was in Texas.

16. Texans struggled to find water 

The majority of Texas was put on boil-water notice, despite not having power. There was a struggle to even find water at all.

17. Texans died while they tried to keep warm 

As the temperatures dropped, there was a rise in cases of carbon monoxide poisonings as Texans tried to stay warm.

18. The Texas Lt. Governor was still trying to spread misinformation 

It also came out that Texas was warned way ahead of time that something like this might occur if proper precautions weren't taken. When asked about it, Texas' Lt. Governor tried to provide false information.

19. Beto O'Rourke (former Texas Representative) also was a key-player in Texas' aid 

Beto O'Rourke, who is more widely known for his race for Senate against Ted Cruz, was also instrumental in Texas' aid. He raised money, water, and supplies, and went down to the Rio Grande Valley to provide aid along with AOC.

20. The lack of water in Texas also hit the fire departments 

This video also shows the San Antonio Fire Department being unable to put out an apartment complex fire.

21. Texas pizza workers behind the scenes 

These Dominos pizza workers were absolutely exhausted after working hard to feed those they could.

22. We actually got snow

Okay but Texas actually got snow.... And lots of it.

23. Yet somehow, we're back

And wouldn't you know it, a week later and it's like nothing ever happened.