The Ultimate Humboldt County Fall Bucket List

It's finally fall!

141
Jessica Larson

Fall is officially here!

To help you truly make the most of the season of cloudy days, warm colors, and plenty of opportunities to drink cider here is a Humboldt County Fall Bucket List.

Go on a Hayride at the Fortuna Apple Harvest Festival

Yes, you read that correctly. During October 1st and 2nd, the Fortuna Apple Harvest Festival is offering hayrides at an orchard farm during their amazing event. If you love apples, music, food and fun this one is for you.

For those of us who are 21 and older, the 3rd Annual Hard Cider Tasting event Taste of the Harvest occurs October 1st at the Fortuna Rodeo Grounds. Spend the evening exploring the fantastic flavors of hard cider while enjoying food and music. Pre-sale tickets are $30 unless you are a designated driver in which case tickets are only $10.

To find out more information, check out the Facebook event page.

Be Happy at the Humboldt Hoptoberfest

Also occurring on October 1st is the Humboldt Hopoberfest. This event takes place in Blue Lake and is a fundraiser for the Blue Lake Education Foundation. To find out more information on the event, check out the website.

Don't Be Embarrassed to Embrace the Pumpkin - flavored Hype

Even if you aren't a fan of pumpkin-flavored everything, we have plenty of coffee shops to take care of your hot drink needs. Why it may sound cliche, there's no shame in embracing the flavor changes that come out in Autumn. The truth is pumpkin - flavored everything is only here for a short time for make the most of it. Be sure to check out Jitter Bean Coffee Co, Dutch Bros Coffee, Northtown Coffee, and Muddy Rivers on Humboldt State Campus for your caffeine related needs.

Pastels on the Plaza

Occurring October 1st, Pastels on the Plaza returns. There's something incredibly special about seeing the Arcata plaza covered in beautiful pieces of pastel artwork. The best part? The proceeds from the event help fund Preschool and Family Services that extend to over 1000 children and families in Humboldt and Del Norte Counties annually!

The Search for the Perfect Pumpkin Begins

There's a certain messy joy involved with carving pumpkins, but it's also an adventure finding the right pumpkin! Check out some of the local pumpkin patches with your friends to plan your day obsessing over orange vegetables. One local business you can find your pumpkin at is Organic Matters Ranch located in Eureka.

Drink Cider All Day, Every day

Fortunately, you don't just have to limit your love of cider to just the Taste of the Harvest, the 3rd annual hard cider tasting event occurring October 1st in Ferndale, while in Humboldt. Check out the Bittersweet for the joint genius of the Local Cider Bar and Slice of Humboldt Pie to eat delicious pie while sippin' cider. Sounds perfect to me.

But the love of cider doesn't stop there! We also have the Wrangletown Cider Company in Arcata.

Don't Let the Rain Keep You From Getting Your Groove On

Even though the rain can be a challenge, don't let it keep you indoors. There's plenty of opportunities coming up to get outside your home and let loose! For those of us who love music and dancing, Of Montreal and Led Kaapana & Da 'Ukulele Boyz are performing in October. There's also the Under the Rooftop dance party in the Creamery District in Arcata.

For those who prefer to run instead of dance, the Third Annual Color Me Humboldt Run takes place in November with the Ugly Holiday Sweater Run coming in December.

Go to the Homecoming Football Game

Who says you have to love football to have fun at a football game? Just grab your squad, wear green and gold, and get ready to cheer on our Lumberjacks! Tip: bring a blanket and possibly hot coco to keep you warm because it's about to get chilly!

Watch Hocus Pocus at the Arcata Theater Lounge

Playing October 30th at 5:30 pm, the Halloween cult classic returns to the big screen. It's not Halloween without seeing the classic witch trio do their magic!

Tip: Show up early to ensure your spot!

What's your go to favorite Fall activity in Humboldt?

Comment below with your plans and recommendations on how to make the most of out the season!

While these are not specific to Humboldt, Autumn is also the perfect opportunity to volunteer, practice being grateful, and try to be a sustainably minded consumer during the holiday season.