Your Ultimate Guide To Getting Full In San Antonio

A weekend in San Antonio leads to a considerably emptier wallet and a fuller stomach

5
Gillian Stiles

Spending the summer working at a camp as a counselor is harder than it sounds. Almost seventy hours a week in the blazing sun and inexhaustible humidity rallying kids to different stations is about as difficult as herding cats. Not that it's not rewarding, of course; it's just, I look more than forward to the weekends. Two complete days of relaxation and me-time, with no crowds, no noise, and no rush. Of course, these kinds of plans never quite turn out perfectly, and so, on my first free weekend of the summer, I went to downtown San Antonio. While it was rather the opposite of what I had in mind for my weekend, I had the best time and took the opportunity to soak up as much local food and culture as possible.

San Antonio boasts some of the most amazing Mexican food this side of the border. Naturally, I ate lunch on the Riverwalk, a San Antonio staple in the touristy realm. Upon a recommendation, I visited Rio Rio, a Mexican food joint situated right on the edge of the water complete with balcony seating, and life-saving misting fans. While the wait was a little long, the food was worth it. I ordered the barbacoa street tacos and can say with full confidence that they were by far the best tacos I have ever eaten. Made simply with two mini corn tortillas, barbacoa, raw purple onions, and cilantro, with a side of red salsa, they were incredible, though messy. Afterward, a walk and a nap were necessary.

Another amazing spot for Mexican food is the famous Mi Tiera. Located in Market Square, the restaurant has a forty minute to an hour wait time to be seated, but once you order, the food is out almost immediately. Here, I enjoyed the quesadilla con Pollo with their house guacamole made with orange juice, as is typical with San Antonio guac. Typically, Mexican food can sit heavily after eaten, but while Mi Tiera's was filling, it didn't give me that gross, heavy feeling. Not only was the food good, but the atmosphere warm and beyond interesting. A larger-than-life-sized photograph of Bill Clinton sits in a lighted frame in a corner of the restaurant while the ceilings are decked out in glittery banners and pinatas. Not to mention the Mariachi that travels through the building playing for patrons. It has officially been placed on my top ten favorite places to eat in town.

While the city is best known for the Tex-Mex culture and food, it's not the only type of culture SA showcases. One of my favorite spots that I got to visit this weekend is Belgian Sweets. A Belgian cafe that serves authentic Belgium waffles, sweets, and housemade ice cream. The waffles aren't the thick fluffy ones that hotels claim as Belgian waffles, but are covered in a hardened sugar coating, topped with everything from strawberries, to chocolate and Nutella with ice cream and homemade whipped cream. They also serve a variety of iced coffees and imported candies and truffles. The food is only one part of it though. The atmosphere is inviting and quiet, and adorning the walls are paintings from the eighteenth-century. And while they are tables and chairs, you can dine on one of the authentic couches and tables from the eighteenth-nineteenth century. From the furniture and art to the awesome waffles, Belgian Sweets is a non-touristy place every visitor needs to see.

Not only does San Antonio have some notable eateries, but is also filled with historical and cultural wonders. Famous home of the Alamo, and in turn the birth of the Republic of Texas, SA is filled with surprises even at night. After dinner, I got to enjoy the light show on the San Fernando Cathedral. An artful projection set to a selection of music depicting the history of San Antonio displayed on the front facing wall of the church. It was absolutely incredible and a must-see for anyone visiting.

All in all, as much as I should've stayed home and enjoyed a weekend of sleep before the week begins again and I am once more plagued with sunburn and mosquitos, a trip to downtown was worth it. From the food to the history, San Antonio has a lot to offer; just make sure you have an empty stomach and a big appetite.