The UCSB Biking Guide

The UCSB Biking Guide

What you need to know as a Gaucho Biker.

956
The UCSB Biking Guide
Claremont Cyclist

You may be an incoming freshmen, or in your final year at UCSB, but biking is a core element of the UCSB experience. You are in a community of approximately 18,000 bikes that roam the UCSB campus. It's easy to be the "freshman" on campus when you don't know basic UCSB bike etiquette. We all don't want to be the person that gets someone late to class because you crashed into them or they had to take another route.

In response, I'm creating some tips so we all Gauchos are clear on how to bike our numerous paths and streets on campus and in IV.

The Bike You Need to Own

Please please please do not get a beach cruiser. Anything with a fat tire, giant handles, and big plush seat is NOT what you want around here. Yes, we are on the beach. Yes, we like being comfy, but you will get jokes and be a pain to every other normal bike out there on the roads. Not only will you be the last one to get to your classes because of how slow your bike is, but you will have a hard time parking in the racks because of how spread out your handles are.

I suggest grabbing an old road or mountain bike. Mountain bikes will be a little more forgiving, but a bit slower and bigger than the road bike option. Road bikes will be quick, but not as forgiving if you need to get out of a bad situation. Brands such as Pure Fix and 6KU are also super popular on campus and good cheap options for a newer bike.

Additionally, if your bike is a bland color, I would suggest putting neon duct tape or repainting so it's easily seen. The first time you forget where you parked your bike at Campbell Hall or IV Theater, you'll thank me.

How to Not Get Your Bike Stolen

Chances are, you have a bike that is handed down from a sibling, relative, or your childhood bike. If you've followed my tip above, you'll want to keep it safe. Bike thefts are SUPER common unfortunately, so take the extra five seconds to keep it safe.

First, make certain your front wheel is bolted on instead of a "quick-release." This will allow you to lock your bike to the front wheel without worrying about someone just leaving your front tire and walking off with the rest of your bike. This is usually a cheap adjustment at a bike store.

(You want the right picture, not the one on the left)

However, parts of the library, ICA, UCEN, Broida Hall, Chemistry, the Thunderdome, and most of Isla Vista have less secure bike racks. Sometimes you can only lock the bike to itself or just the front wheel, but definitely make an attempt to keep it as immobile as possible.

Biking Etiquette

First, learn the roundabouts and learn campus when there's no one on the bike paths. I would suggest just biking recreationally around campus to get a lay of the land first on non-rush hours. During the school year, any time from 10 minutes to the hour until the top of the hour is NUTS. (9:50-10:00 am for example). Therefore, get a lay of the land at another time. Understand the bike routes and where they go.

When you do have to go somewhere during rush hour, always stay to the right if you're going slow and pass SAFELY. I personally did not pass safely on an occasion and set myself up for an accident where I screwed up the entire front end of my bike near Campbell Hall. Almost all accidents are preventable. Just make sure you're going a safe speed and also going fast enough to maintain the pace of the group. PLEASE signal using your hands either right or left and use your words too! Overall, just be predictable. Some spots to watch for is the intersection of Pardall Rd. where Freebirds is, Campbell Hall's bike racks, the roundabout by the SRB and the one by the Rec Cen.

Street Rules

In Isla Vista, bikes use stop signs as suggestions. Just make sure you at least slow down to look both ways before crossing an intersection. This is usually why the Pardall Rd. intersection is so dangerous. Cars do have to give you right of way, but they do get angry easy. However, if you want to be sure you won't get a ticket, stop at the stop signs because you can get pulled over for it.

As for the non-biking spots, this law is kept up very well on campus. DO NOT bike in the Arbor outside the library, around in front of the science buildings in the grass area, or between the AS Bike Shop and the Rec Cen/ICA. If you are caught, the minimum ticket is around $200 and can increase depending on the severity.

Lastly, if you do go out to IV and are caught under the influence of alcohol and riding your bike, you can be charged with a BUI (biking under the influence). So, always be sure to be safe when you go, walking as much as possible.

Overall, just be safe, be predictable, maintain and lock your bike up properly and you won't have any problems.

We "Gauchoback"!