Types of Dads
Types of Dads
Flickr Photography - Giancarlo Zortea

Fathers are an important part of their children's lives, and they come in all shapes and sizes. Though all dads seem to have a certain "dad" vibe, there are distinct types of dads everyone can identify.

1) The Typical Dad

This dad has the "dad bod," wears glasses, and owns a certified pair of "dad sandals." He packed your lunches when you were little and asks how your day was when you get home from school. He tells lots of corny "dad jokes," especially about the loss of his hair. He loves sharing embarrassing stories of when you were little, then proceeds to tell your friends how he loves to embarrass you. This dad constantly switches the channel from news to sports. He debates about politics and enjoys a good barbecue on the grill outside. There is a 99% chance that he threw you up in the air when you were a baby (and almost dropped you).

2) The Outdoors-y Dad

This dad lives and breathes the outdoors. He loves camping and drags the family on lots of adventures in unique nature spots. Most of his shoes are outdoor heavy-duty boots because he is always ready for adventure. He can fix pretty much anything in the house, and you always ask him to open cans or bottles for you. His favorite hobbies include hiking, kayaking, ziplining, riding four-wheelers, and mowing the lawn with his John Deer. He drives your mom up the wall by driving different ways home because of the "scenic view." He has definitely subjected you to wake up early just to view the sunrise, something he often does himself.

3) The Cool Dad

In his mind, this dad is still 18 years old and still the popular kid he was in high school. His idea of formal wear consists of skinny jeans and a T-shirt with a suit jacket. Young or not, this dad tries to keep up with male fashion trends. He can often be found at youth events and jokes that he is still "young at heart." He loves pulling out pictures from the "good ole days" and constantly tries to prove that he's "still got it." He tries to fit in with your friends when they come over, and does his best to keep up with the slang of young people. He greets you with "yo" and texts "lol" in every message.

4) The No-Nonsense Dad

This dad most likely was in the military. He will NOT stand for your foolishness while you are "under his roof" (his favorite phrase). He wakes up super early and gets mad if you don't. He is intense during disagreements, and his most effective method of communicating is demanding. You have endured many speeches on life and your behavior if it is not satisfactory (which is pretty much always). His hobbies include asking about your grades, going down to your school, commenting on what you are wearing, and checking the condition of your room. Though you sometimes feel like a disappointment, this dad ultimately wants the best for you, which is why he is so hard on you.

5) The "Walking Wallet" Dad

This dad is a walking bag of money, to say the least. He started spoiling you from a young age, so there is no turning back now. All your friends are jealous because you always have nice things, thanks to him. He bought you your first car and first phone. Growing up, he gave you an allowance, but still ended up buying you everything anyway. This dad is pretty much an extra scholarship you will always have throughout your life.

6) The Athletic Dad

This dad is a born athlete. He played sports, most likely football, in high school and has not acquired the "dad bod" due to his intense workout regimen. His breakfast consists of strange things, like raw eggs and energy smoothies that make you gag. This dad never misses your sporting events and does more yelling than the coach while there. There is a 50% chance this dad is a personal trainer. You tried to workout with him once and almost died. Most of your friends think he is hot, and you have to remind them he is 20 years their senior (and also your dad--Gross!).

7) The Quiet Dad

His main function in your life is moral support. He is always there for you, but he is more of a listener than a talker. This dad knows a lot and gives great advice if you ask his opinion. This dad teared up at your graduation, when you went on your first date, and at your wedding.

All dads are important! Which is your dad?