11 Types Of AP Teachers Students Had To Deal With This School Year

If you haven't had one of these, you're just getting started.
479

AP exams are right around the corner, but whether you're ready or not, your teachers are either stressing over everything in the world or daydreaming about their summer break. You, bleary eyed at three in the morning cramming in every single event from the Cold War, are left to your own devices. Even when you ask your teacher for AP review material, you can't help but feel a little overwhelmed with the lack of assurance. Sadly, some things never change; here are 11 AP teachers you'll either love or hate.

1. The Joker

The ultimate prankster and joke cracker, this teacher has the ability to make everything sound funny, even the pungent latrines of Versailles. Often, you find yourself stifling your laughter in the middle of a serious power point simply because you can't get the previous joke out of your head.

Especially as the year comes to an end, this teacher finds the best ways to prank co-workers, whether its by barricading their doors with desks or placing Bluetooth speakers in their closest. Best of all, this teacher knows how to brighten your day with a smile at the door when you enter and a wave when you exit.

2. The Deal-breaker

Ah, how tragic. This teacher starts the year off as the nicest soul on Earth, encouraging students to take challenges and do their best. While assignments are minimal, grades are harsh, but this teacher's attitude covers up the low A with sickly sweet comments.

Everything seems to go well and you're ready to exit the class with an A, happy to have skimmed by with a 5.0 to add to your GPA, but at the last minute, you score a 60 on a surprise pop quiz, and down it goes. Guess what? You have an 89.4, and there's no way to bring it up.

3. The 'Harsh But True'

This teacher is the best critic, much like your parents. He or she will bleed your essay red with corrections and leave esteem-crippling comments on your terrible test scores; however, you start to appreciate this teacher for their hard work. Over time, you eventually learn from your mistakes and soar to the top of the class. Sometimes, you can't help but smile when you finally get the "excellent student" comment on your report card.

4. The Carefree Bird

Now, this teacher is the best for spontaneous parties and ice cream socials. Expectations around May are right at the national average, a three, and students sit in class pretending to finish their web quests behind their chrome books.

When exam schedules roll up in two weeks, this teacher is convinced that the material “taught” throughout the year is sufficient to earn a passing grade, and without a fear in the world, this teacher leans back and resumes the fantasy football match. Now, you’re only left with a Princeton review book as your saving grace.

5. The Reassuring One

This teacher can sometimes be annoying with how reassuring they sound when it comes to grades. Expectations are low, perhaps a B, and a good grade on a test would be a 70. Usually, these scores count as a borderline four, but somehow, in this teacher's mind, a three is an acceptable grade, one you should "have nothing to worry about." So, take this teacher with caution, or else you might slip into a hole you can't fix.

6. The #LifeGoals

Style, character, charisma, everything. This teacher is simply life goals. With everything uptight, this teacher has everything planned to perfection, and everyone feels slightly intimidated, which earns tremendous respect. Students are constantly begging for recommendations, and they shower this teacher with gift cards, birthday wishes and quality chocolate just to earn a smile and a thank you.

7. The "Drill Till You Drop"

This teacher often corresponds with the “saint” as you would feel most prepared for the AP exam in that particular class; however, sometimes, assignments consist of reading terribly copied 15th century text the size of the tip of your pen.

The unmistakable blobs of poor quality primary sources and extremely vague lab instructions are your best friends at two in the morning and you’ll never get to miss out on the familiar hand cramps you get after one assignment. Get ready and buckle up because you’re really in for a ride with this one!

8. The Dad

This teacher is that one person who reminds you of a dad...well, because he truly is one. He comes in with a nice tie and dress pants, carrying a black briefcase and a water bottle. During class, this teacher cracks some dad jokes that are sometimes funny, leaving the class in howling with tears or staring in silence. While he can be mostly a private person, he sometimes talks about his kids and how they're growing up... you know the drill.

9. The "Way Too Personal" One

This teacher can either be your best friend or your worst enemy. The moment you walk into class, you learn more about your teacher’s life story than the subject. Often, this teacher will ramble on about the compost bin given as a present or about the good ol’ surfing times. On the other hand, while you can get away with instructional time, at the end of the year, you find yourself vividly remembering these stories the week before the exam and almost nothing about the Nitrogen Cycle or those Titration Curves.

10. The Awkward One

This teacher is like your Grandpa Berry, awkward yet precious. This teacher tries to crack bad jokes but ultimately makes the class laugh at the amount of effort he puts into making his lecture interesting. Often, his PowerPoints consists of memes that only make sense to himself, and other times, his expression when teaching is just another story of its own. While awkward, this teacher manages to win over the hearts of the entire class and, very surprisingly, ends up with the most presents and the most fives on the AP exam.

11. The Supreme

The ultimate teacher of the year, ranking best in almost everything you can think of. Sometimes, this teacher is called the supreme ruler, and you'll do anything to earn the best possible grades. Other times, this teacher is simply the topic of all your conversations. Eventually, you and your friends end up with a fan club group chat in honor of the “the supreme ruler.”

While the class might be the source of all your nightmares, this teacher sticks to the AP rigor expectations and effectively drills everything you must know on the exam into your brain. Don’t be surprised when you see that five on the exam, because all that hard work was worth it. Cheers!