The Two Pillars Of Strength

The Two Pillars Of Strength

An inside journey through college so far...

1248
The Two Pillars Of Strength
Photo by Mukesh Sahdev (father)

Let's get this straight: College is hard. It's draining and stressful. It can be fun if you can balance your time and energy at the right place and order. It is the beginning stage in our life to become more independent, resilient and to follow your dreams.

Meeting new people, going to events and evolving as an individual is all part of the journey. Yet, every journey has its own bumps and falls, but as long as you can find something to keep you gravitated towards your goals, you will spring back!

I am just amazed to realize that there are only 4/5 weeks left until summer. However, it's not all glorious since exams are approaching and everyone is chanting the same mantra, which is to "Finish strong and make it through".

So, can we make it through?

Yes, and it's called motivation.

How do you define motivation and where do you get the courage to stay motivated? My personal motivation is my belief in god. I am always reminded by my parents that "If you help yourself, God will help you".

However, what happens when you feel helpless and lost?

Since coming to college, I have been struggling to stay positive and more homesick. My family lives in Houston and I am here all the way in Syracuse! It can be emotionally draining when you dearly miss your family and you are limited to texting, calling or facetime.

Yes, I can fly home during breaks and cherish my time with my family, to revive those warm and fuzzy feeling of happiness-but when I miss my extended family back home in India, I feel ten times more helpless.

I imagine my life laid out on a map: I am standing in the middle and the opposite sides are my family in Houston and India. I'm close to them, yet so far. They all reside in my heart but I can't jump across and reach either side.

My daily hectic college life can be overwhelming, and it's in my human nature to push aside all my deep emotions and focus on becoming a successful student. There is plenty on my plate, but I only have two hands.

Sometimes, these feeling will all flush in like the ocean, but the storm will die down because I know how much they all love me, respect me and are proud of my achievements.

They believe in me, and so does God. They are all watching above, no matter how far the distance. It's these little things that motivate me to regain my confidence to stay 'motivated'.