17 Things Twins Are Tired Of Hearing

I'm one-of-a-kind yet I have someone who has been always been by my side since day one. I grew up with an identical twin and while it has been extremely fun, twins tend to become annoyed by certain things.

1. "Twin," or anything like that is not our name.

"Twin" is not my name and you shouldn't call someone who is a twin by that name. Also, don't think it is okay to call them anything with the name twin in it. Being a twin does not define us. Being called a twin is like saying that calling myself, Lindsey Caucasian. You are merely stating a fact about the individual and honestly, if you can't learn their name, don't talk to them.

2. We can not read each the other twin's mind.

If I could read her mind, what could stop me from reading your mind. Just because we are twins, it doesn't mean we have superpowers.

3. I don't know if I will have twins one day, please do not ask.

Being a twin does not mean that I am destined to have twins. It doesn't matter to me at this stage in life anyway.

4. We are not zoo animals so don't stare at us like we are.

Seriously though, it is crazy how often people will just stare at us. Yes, we look alike but your staring is not needed. Being stared at your whole life makes the individual uncomfortable. During my youth, my twin and I would get stared at so much that we looked at people with this blank, emotionless expression on our face. We hated feeling like we were some type of freak for people to freak about.

5. What's it like be a twin?

How is one supposed to answer this? There is no way to answer this question. Being a twin is normal to me, just like not being a twin is normal to you.

6. How much older I am shouldn't matter to you.

The number of minutes or hours that I am older or younger than my twin should not matter. This little detail does not define who I am and you shouldn't either, so please do not ask. P.S., I am thirteen and a half minutes older than my sister!

7. "But you don't look alike."

We are individuals with different styles or we might just be fraternal. Plus, not all identical twins are identical in looks, just DNA. My sister recently dyed her hair and she does her makeup completely different so we can look nothing alike at times. It is really nice.

8. Don't ask which one is smarter/nicer/more athletic.

This is totally unfair to twins. The world is already so competitive that it is not fair to compare each other. Yes, we do know who is better at what, but it is not okay. Plus, what if I don't know how to answer it?

9. Do you guys do everything together?

Do you see a cord connecting us at the hip? No, again, because I am an individual. Each twin has their own interests separate from each others. I played soccer in high school and my sister did choir. We did not want to try each other's hobby what so ever.

10. Which one is the evil one?

What?

11. Who was planned?

Uhhhh? Why would this question be asked?

12. What would you have done if your twin would have died in the womb?

Just please don't ask that question. I don't want to know what my life would be like but all I can say is that it would be different.

13. Stop counting twins as one.

When counting who will be at something please do not count us as one. And again back up to the first point please do not address us as "twin" anything.

14. Fraternal Twins Problems: Are you dating?

Obviously, I wouldn't know this problem since I have a twin sister but no matter if they are twins or not, this is still awkward. Don't ever ask someone if they are dating unless they are clearly dating.

15. Oh, double trouble.

How witty. We’ve never gotten that before plus I could cause the same, if not more trouble without my twin around. Any any two people, regardless if they are twins, could cause trouble.

16. Which one are you?

I won't be offended if you call me by my sister's name. I understand our looks confuse you, other twins confuse me, too but there are way less offensive ways to ask this question.

17. Did you get the same cake?

Again, I am my own person. Of course I got my own cake. You can't have two for the price of one for twins in life not even in medical expenses. The only tings I have actually had to share with my twin is our birthday and the womb.