Behind The Scenes Of A Barbers Journey

Behind The Scenes Of A Barbers Journey

A Barbers Journey

87
Behind The Scenes Of A Barbers Journey

It's 2016 and I bet y'all never heard of twin barbers...Proudly Introducing @DragonCutz & @DracoTheBarber

Now let's be honest, a lot of men go to a unisex salon to get a haircut such as Supercuts, but I'm suggesting men to go to a barbershop. A barber knows how to cut a man's hair because they are trained to cut hair with clippers and blades, not just scissors like cosmetologists. Also because you can talk with other men about things you can relate to like politics, cars, sports and family. You don't feel awkward sitting their listening to women gossip. You can get a clean shave, feel more confident, comfortable, and like women have a spa day you can have quality time with your father. Not only that but if you go to a salon you'll have to explain over and over again what you want. Every man needs a reliable and skilled barber that has a memory like that of an elephant. Okay with that being said, the hard part is finding a good barber...good thing I'm introducing you to two of the most qualified barbers to cut your hair today. Meet Dragon and Draco:

1. What inspired you to become a barber?

Dragon: I never had the chance to visit a barbershop as a kid, my father would always cut my hair, and on top of that $15 for a haircut every week was a little to expensive for us. One day out of nowhere I asked my twin brother if I could cut hist hair. I messed him up real bad. Since that day I just wanted to learn more and more about it and slowly I started growing a passion for it. Every night of my senior year I would stay up till 2-3 am just watching instructional videos on YouTube.

Draco: I grew up very poor. As a result my parents were not able to afford my haircuts. My dad had a pair of clippers and some shears and would cut my hair throughout my childhood. Once I hit high school I didn't like his haircuts because they were not modern. I would let my twin brother practice cutting hair on me. Right after high school graduation, I went to Long Beach City College. I did extremely well in college; however, I felt like I was in prison. I was dead broke. There would be days I didn't eat at all in school. I dropped out of college at age 18. I then applied to many jobs but they all required experience. In today's world, it's about who you know. I lacked connections with people as a result I was denied of all the jobs I applied to. My brother was already attending barber school. I noticed he was much happier than me. He would come home showing me the new pair of clippers he bought, always asking to cut my hair. I analyzed my life and decided enough was enough. I then asked my brother to teach me to cut hair. Ever since I haven't looked back.

2. At what age did you begin your journey?

Dragon: I first picked up a pair of clippers at the age of 17, I'm about to turn 20.

Draco: At age 18 is when I began cutting hair.

3. How did you learn to cut hair?

Dragon: At first it was just through instructional videos & tutorials on YouTube , but I never stop learning I'm always open to new ways!

Draco: I mostly learned this craft by watching my twin brother cut hair. I would ask the same questions over and over because each time he answered I learned something new. I would also watch a lot of tutorials on YouTube. I followed all the best barbers on Instagram and watched their work. I practiced on my brother and then began cutting in a barbershop in Compton, Ca.

4. At first, was it hard to get clients and support?

Dragon: It's not hard to get clients or support... its more about being patient with yourself and others. At first, I was just doing it for fun and slowly more and more people would ask for my service.

Draco: Yes, at the beginning of my career it was very difficult for me to get haircuts because I was the new barber. Clients didn't trust me. I just didn't quit. I kept pushing and pushing until I was finally getting busy. At that time I was dating someone, I will not mention any names but that person didn't support me. However I knew I'd do well because I fell in love with this craft.

5. Do you remember your first haircut? Where was it? (Salon, Barbershop, at home, etc..)

Dragon: Yes of course I will never forget the day I did my first haircut which was in the bathroom of our mobile home.

Draco: I remember when my dad would cut my hair in the back yard. There were a few times when he cut my ear with the clippers and it hurt a lot. I never went to a barbershop or salon.

6. What does it feel like to have your twin brother as a fellow barber?

Dragon: It's an amazing feeling! At fist it was hard to get him to start cutting hair, he didn't have the patience for it but as time went by he realized what this industry could do for him. It's just better all around I mean have you heard of twin barbers? I feel like we are more marketable in a sense.

Draco: Having a twin brother working next to me is the best feeling ever. At the end of the day he's my best friend and he has been my number one supporter since day one. I always go to him for tips and advice about anything.

7. To what do you owe your success?

Dragon: Growing up as a kid my family struggled financially. My father was unemployed because of an injury, and my mother did what she could to get us through. I just wanted to be one less person they had to worry about. I realized very early what this industry could do so I just went all out literally working everyday trying to cut as much as possible. Traveling from different cities. But the main thing I would say is my passion for this I was just eager to learn and get better! You have to be consistent with this, always put your best work into your craft. Be loyal to your craft.

Draco: First and foremost I owe my success to God. Also my parents, as they supported me to the best of their ability. My siblings and clients are also a huge part of my success.

8. Describe what you love most about your job?

Dragon: I love the fact that I have a contribution into my clients image. I am the one responsible for how they will look on that interview, party, meeting etc. I love uplifting people's confidence. I love the fact that I'm self-employed. I love the respect people give me, the many people I get to interact on a daily basis, I just love the industry so much! There's no limit to what can be done.

Draco: I love the fact that I could literally change people's self esteem. I have approximately 45 minutes to get to know somebody. I have the power to make someone smile and laugh, to change their experience of a haircut. I love the fact that I get to be involved in my clients lives and build strong healthy relationship with them.

9. Have you ever donated your time as a barber to help those in need?

Dragon: Yes plenty of times. I remember not to long ago me and my twin put together this event that we called "CUT THE HUNGER " where we raised money to feed malnourished abroad. Thanks to the contribution we were able to feed 106 children.

Draco: Yes plenty of times. About 6 months ago my twin brother and I put together an event called "Cut The Hunger" where we donated two days to cut hair. We raised around $500 and fed 106 malnourished children and pregnant women. I also donated one work day to an Autism Awareness Community Event in Compton where I cut hair for free.

10. What would your advice be to those aspiring barbers starting from the bottom?

Dragon: You have to be consistent with this, always put your best work into your craft. Be loyal to your craft. Don't do it for just the money or you won't get far. Take risks don't be afraid of messing up. Get out of your zip code & do ALOT of networking. Never stop learning always work to get better.

Draco: My advice to all fellow aspiring barbers whether you are young or older is to do it from your heart. Don't do it for the money or the fame. Although money is very important, your work depends on your passion. If you're not happy cutting hair, then this is probably not the industry for you. Also be patient with yourself. Know that it takes time to learn and master a skill. Studies have shown that it takes about 67 days to develop a habit. As you master your skills, your paycheck will increase. Always be open to learning new skills and techniques from other barbers. Give it all you got and it will give it back.

Be sure to follow them on social media and book an appointment with the links down below. Thanks for reading and have blessed day!

Follow

IG: @dragoncutz

TRUST IN MY HANDS®
https://www.gopanache.com/pro/dragoncutz

IG: @dracothebarber

FB: DracoTheBarber

https://www.gopanache.com/pro/dracothebarber