20 Things I Learned In My 20 Years

20 Things I Learned In My 20 Years

"The struggles I'm facing, the chances I'm taking sometimes might knock me down but no I'm not breaking."

246
20 Things I Learned In My 20 Years
Google

Looking back on the past 20 years of my life, it is undeniable that I have learned several things not only about myself, but about the world around me as well. This gain in knowledge has shaped me into the woman I am today and will have a lasting impact on further growth.

1) Your family should always be your priority.

Seems pretty obvious, right? However, it wasn't until I started living far away from them that I truly understood how much they meant to me. They will always be there for me, above anyone, no matter how far away they might be.

2) Change is a blessing in disguise.

I've always hated change. Whether it was moving to a new place or having to change something about myself. In the past two years of college though, I've grown to appreciate the opportunity to change. These opportunities have resulted in tremendous self growth and allowed me to become someone I was proud of being.

3) You won't stay friends with the same people forever.

And that's okay. People grow apart, it's a part of life. I promise it's not the end of the world and you will find your forever friends.

4) Having patience is very rarely unrewarded.

Good things come to those who wait. As hard as it is to wait for something we really want, I promise it's worth it. Not only will you feel much more accomplished, but you will also grow to appreciate whatever it is much more.

5) Always forgive, but don't forget.

It's important to find the ability to forgive people for your own sake. Harboring negativity only attracts negativity, so do your best to be able to forgive those who hurt us. However, it is equally important to remember what happened in order to protect yourself from being hurt again.

6) It's okay to be selfish.

There are times in your life where you need to put yourself first and do what's best for you, even if it means you might hurt people you care about. Be sure to try your best to protect those you care about, but don't let it prevent you from doing what you need to do for yourself.

7) Don't try to force relationships with people.

Sometimes you really care about someone but they don't demonstrate the same towards you. It's important to take a step back and reflect on whether or not you're giving as much as you're taking. If not, it's time to move on.

8) Being able to put your pride aside is important.

Admitting you were wrong shows more strength than it does weakness. We all make mistakes and the first step to fixing whatever mistake you made is accepting responsibility and apologizing.

9) Those who really care about you will show it.

Simple. You shouldn't have to constantly question where you stand with someone, that's not a healthy way to live your life.

10) Your friends can be your family too.

There are certain people who just make your life better. Appreciate them and keep them close to your heart.

11) Being in love is the greatest feeling.

I used to be very skeptical on what love was and even if it was real. However, over the past year and a half I have come to learn that it is not only very real but also one of the best feelings in the world. To love and be loved in return is such an indescribable feeling and if you are ever lucky enough to experience it, cherish it whole heartedly.

12) Not everyone is going to like you.

Sometimes its because of something you did and sometimes it'll be for no reason. The important thing to focus on is the people who appreciate you for who you are.

13) Be unapologetically yourself.

There is only one you. Embrace it.

14) Self love is underrated.

Have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror and loved what you saw? Now, imagine feeling that way all the time. Remember that you have so much to offer the world and those around you. Love yourself always.

15) Don't take everything so seriously.

Being able to find the humor in challenging situations will make it 100% easier to get through them. Have some fun, laughter is the best medicine after all.

16) You are not guaranteed tomorrow.

It's really easy to put things off until "tomorrow" because it's more convenient, but people often forget you don't know what tomorrow will bring. Live everyday like it's your last, take risks and avoid leaving things till tomorrow.

17) Count your blessings.

This is especially important on days you feel the lowest. Take a second to breathe and recognize the good things in your life. Not only will it help you feel better, but positivity attracts positivity.

18) Being alone doesn't mean you are lonely...

There is nothing wrong with needing some time to yourself. Whether you're listening to music or reading a good book, it's important to be able to be alone with yourself. This is the perfect time to reflect and wind down.

19) Save more than you spend.

This is undeniably something I still need to work on but saving your money is SO important. I can not stress this enough. Those new shoes are amazing but they'll be even more amazing when you can afford them while still having money left over.

20) Enjoy your 20s.

Life comes and goes pretty fast. I still don't fully understand how I'm already twenty. Take advantage of every opportunity life gives you and do what makes you happy. Everything else will fall into place with time.