Turning 20 Is The Absolute Worst

Turning 20 Is The Absolute Worst

I didn't sign up for this.

716
Turning 20 Is The Absolute Worst
Emma King

Recently, I turned 20 years old. I’m not sure what I expected, but let me tell you what, it was a major let-down. I’ve given this a lot of thought, and I’m 99.9% sure turning 20 is just the worst age.

I’m sure there are a lot of people who disagree with me, and probably later in life I’ll change my mind looking back on it. But at this exact moment, 20 kinda sucks. Here’s why.

1. You're no longer a teenager

When I was 19, it was this awkward “you are an adult, but you’re still technically a teenager” that made me breathe a little easier. It was like a free-trial for being an adult. The free trial's up and it’s too late to cancel the subscription, and I am NOT happy about it.

2. Your legal status has not changed at all

I can still vote, I can still buy lottery tickets, I can still buy cigarettes, and I can still be drafted into the army. Just like when I was 18. Just like when I was 19. There is zero extra benefit of becoming 20.

3. You're not 21

C’mon. This is the one we all wait for since 16, and 20 is so close it’s painful. If someone asks me my age, all I want is to add that extra “one” to the “twenty.” Cue my countdown on my phone to my next birthday.

4. People in their 20s DO things

People in their 20s have real jobs. People in their 20s get married. People in their 20s have kids. I am not ready for any of those things. The difference in maturity between a 24-year-old and 20-year-old is SCARY.

My sister is 23 and now I am 20, and I am not mentally ready to be in the same decade as her. If you want to really freak yourself out, watch this Ted Talk.

5. You sound old in a not-fun way to little kids

Have you ever told a 12-year-old that you just turned 20? I have. Do not recommend. No one will make you panic about your age more than a 12-year-old. She had a scary mixture of disbelief and disgust on her face. Me too, me too.

6. You are TWO decades old

That’s two sets of ten years. Four sets of five years. Twenty individual years. If the average lifespan is 80 years old, you’re a quarter of the way done. The math is just scary. You could say I’m having a slight quarter-life crisis.

Hahaha, I’m not crying, you’re crying.

Please share this if you feel my pain. Keep an eye out for my petition to get rid of the age 20, and go directly from 19 to 21.