Trying Something New Every Day Leads to A Better Lifestyle

How do you know you don't like pigs feet?

14

I think it is fair to stay that trying something new is always a little bit scary for some people. A lot of people are creatures of habit. They order the same thing at their usual restaurants, they gravitate toward the same style clothes or even partake in the same hobby each day. Now, by no means is that a bad thing. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. But what I think is crucial and, beneficial, for that matter, is branching out to try new and different things that you usually wouldn't. That is not to say that you should put down your book at night before you sleep, but that is to say that maybe you want to open a magazine too. That is to say that maybe you want to try the barbecue chicken instead of teriyaki .

Recently, my roommate bought a longboard. I think my nine years of dancing helped me with my balance and groove when trying out my roommate's longboard for the first time. This was something that, maybe years ago wouldn't be too out of my comfort zone, as I was an ice skater when I was in middle school, but now, this would be a real leap outside of the box. I was hesitant to even try it because long boarding wasn't something that I saw myself getting into, but it was actually really fun. I would consider getting my own to use over the summer.

It is moments like these when trying something new can lead to. abetter lifestyle because some things you thought would never be for you turn out to bring you joy.

Now, what if I hated longboarding? Well, then at least I know! I can say I tried it, and I'll know that it isn't something to do again because it wouldn't benefit me or my well-being.

I HATE mushrooms. The texture completely grosses me out. For dinner one night this week, the chefs in my sorority house made risotto. Now, I like risotto a lot. But there was one problem: there were mushrooms in the risotto. Guess what I did? I tried it. I didn't even pick out the mushrooms. I went and put a scoop on my spoon and shoved that baby in my mouth, and to my surprise, I liked it. So maybe I don't hate mushrooms as bad as I once thought I did. You know, when you don't like a food once or twice after you try it, you typically avoid eating it all together for years. I don't necessarily think I would choose to eat mushrooms on a regular basis, but now I know that I can tolerate them in my risotto!

When I realized I like longboarding and don't mind mushrooms as much as I thought, it opened my eyes to new possibilities and new experiences that I never imagined doing or happening. This idea of trying something new each day comes from a place to better understand your needs, wants, likes and dislikes. It can help add new things to your life that make you enjoy it better.

The old saying is true: "Don't knock it 'till you try it."