This Is The Truth About Taking A Year Off From School

It's not all fun and games.

69

Here's the thing about taking a year off from school ...

It is nothing like you'd expect.

Don't get me wrong, not having to wake up for an 8 a.m., having tons and tons of homework, projects, papers and tests, doing group work, and stressing out everyday about the next upcoming assignment is like taking a breath of much needed fresh air after what feels like holding it in for the past four years.

It's like having this huge weight lifted off your shoulders once you go across the stage at graduation because you can finally say you've made it. You've gone through all the frustration of those late nights, mental breakdowns and constant reassurance you kept trying to convince yourself that you could make it through.

And you did it. But now the question you ask yourself is this: What now?

The thing about college that makes it different from high school is that unlike after high school, where most people know they're next step in life, after college, it's completely different.

Your life can go in so many directions and it's ultimately up to you what you decide to do in the end.

My goal and choice were once I graduated college I would end up going to graduate school. I knew this from the moment I first started because I knew that in order to do what I wanted for the rest of my life I needed to have a Master's degree in order to fulfill that.

Every single person and program is different. Some choose to stop at a Bachelor's degree while others continue on and whichever path someone chooses is okay because it's their life and no one else's.

I never initially thought that I would end up taking a year off before transitioning from undergrad to grad. But after pushing myself those four years and having been introduced to crippling anxiety during those four years as well, I knew I had to change my plans.

So it's been almost eight months since graduating and here are some things I've learned about taking a year off from school as well as some harsh truths I've learned along the way too:

Your mental health is important and saying you need to take a break from things does not show weakness. My mental health was at an all-time low after I graduated college and it made me realize if I hadn't stepped back to reevaluate my path in life, I wouldn't gone in feeling a lot worse to the point where I would've had to drop out.

Applying to graduate schools is a lot harder than applying to colleges.

You may face rejection from schools, but when you get an acceptance letter from them it's the best feeling ever.

Just because you have a year off, doesn't mean you should spend it slacking off.

But it also doesn't mean you have to constantly be doing something to make up for the fact that you're not in school right now so you have to keep busy.

Trying to find a job in your field is a lot harder than it looks. You could be a straight-A student, graduate the top of your class and people will still not want to hire you.

But that doesn't mean not working in a job in your desired field is any less great. After failing to find a job in my field this past summer I decided to look for a retail job, got hired on the spot and was finally able to quit my job I've been wanting to get out of for years. Make most of the little things in life.

You could have your entire next few years planned out with the college/s you want to go to, a program you want to go in and suddenly, everything changes. Maybe you realized this isn't what you want to study anymore. Maybe that college you've dreamed of going to isn't right for you anymore.

Or maybe, you met someone who's made you see that they're just as important in your future as your career and goals are now too.

Make the most of your time off. Spend time with friends and family, do an activity you've been saying you've wanted to do but never had the time. Go out and explore your surroundings because before you know it you'll be back in your same routine wishing you could rewind and go back.

So you want to know the truth about taking a year off from school?

It's not all fun and games. But it's up to you to figure out what you're going to do with that year. So you better make the most of it and never look back.