Trust In The Lord And He Will Make Your Paths Straight

An Open Letter to the Class of 2018

313
Ashten Lamb

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Dear Seniors,

I know right now it seems like the entire world is against you and you will never figure this whole “life” thing out, but trust me you will. More importantly, trust in the Lord because he will never fail you. It may seem as if Senior year is basically over and all you can focus on is scholarships and college applications. Well, I can assure you, this last semester of high school will be crammed full of exciting memories you will want to remember for the rest of your life..but believe me when I tell you, you are really not going to miss it that much.

I was in your shoes just one year ago, and I was an emotional wreck…I cried after every “last Senior” event and I just couldn’t picture myself out of high school. One year later, here I am happier than I could have imagined. College will shape you as a person and give you hundreds of different opportunities to choose from.

I can promise you, college football games are nothing like high school…you aren’t going to share that bond of cheering on your football boys every Friday night. There is no “painting up” before a game and spending hours on the perfect sign. Truth is, 80% of students there will show up drunk and leave by halftime. Sadly, for you, those high school games are over and coming from a small town that is one thing that I know you will miss most. That’s not the end though…

During your last semester of high school, go to as many school events as you can and cheer on the people you will part with come August (or for most, May). Compete in as many competitions and be as involved as you can. Your time is almost up and then no matter where you go, you’re moving to a big lake with lots of fish.

When applying for scholarships, write down absolutely everything you have been involved in and every award you have ever received. Even though I am telling you to enjoy your last semester of Senior year, I am also saying make some time to get serious. These scholarships will save your life and if you don’t have plans for after high school, now is the time to make them.

Before you know it, April will be here, and it will be your Senior Prom. Do me a favor and do not stress. Yes, I know, you must find the perfect dress/tux, the perfect date, and if all your plans don’t go as planned then prom will be ruined…you’re wrong. Nothing is going to go exactly how you planned, and you are going to look back and think how silly you were for becoming a promzilla when you should have just looked forward to one of the most enchanting nights of your life. Dance the night away and stay until it is over. Even if you are the very last one on the dance floor, this is a moment you will never get back. Soak it in.

Then comes May and it is time to walk across the stage and receive your diploma. Do not give up. Get that diploma. Graduation seems as if it’s forever away and it is going to be the longest semester of your life waiting for that day to get here…looking back now, it all went by way to fast. I can remember sitting in my seat, teary-eyed throughout the entire ceremony and then before I knew it, I was tossing my cap into the air and heading home to get ready for project graduation. The entire night is a blur, yet still thinking back on it all I can do is smile.

Spend time with your family and cherish every minute with them. Although I still see my family all the time, it still feels so different when I am away. Hug your siblings even tighter these last few months and remember you can never thank your parents enough. You would not be where you are today without them, but most importantly you wouldn’t be anywhere without the Lord.

No matter what path you decide to take, the Lord will be on your side every single step of the way. You’ve got a bumpy road ahead of you and every way you turn, something else will be thrown your way. Take it from me, you will get through it. Take the time to thank the teachers who have really helped you get to where you are, months after graduation…they will still be there for you, supporting. Don’t worry about who will or won’t stick around, that doesn’t matter right now…what matters is who you have now and the memories you are making together.

Trust in him. Do not overthink. Everything happens for a reason and in the end, it will all work out. Pray about everything, whether it’s a major test or trying to decide where you are going after high school. Pray about it. There are so many things right now you are not going to understand, and in the future, you will be faced with much more. You are leaving a lot behind, but my friend you have So Much to look forward too.

Friends will come and go. Couples break up. Life changes...but True Friends stick around, Family is forever, and God is eternal.