Trump's Wiretapping Claims: The Basics

Trump's Wiretapping Claims: The Basics

For those of us who don't understand politics

6
Trump's Wiretapping Claims: The Basics

Last week, President Donald Trump accused President Barack Obama of tapping phones in Trump Tower. If you're anything like me, political news like this can be a little confusing to understand, so while we're waiting for things to unfold, why don't we go over the basics?

1. When did Trump accuse Obama?

Trump accused Obama during a series of tweets that were posted to his personal Twitter account on March 4. He tweeted (spelling is his):

"Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my "wires tapped" in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!" (6:35 a.m.)"Is it legal for a sitting President to be "wire tapping" a race for president prior to an election? Turned down by court earlier. A NEW LOW!

" (6:49 a.m.)

"I'd bet a good lawyer could make a great case out of the fact that President Obama was tapping my phones in October, just prior to Election!" (6:52 a.m.)"How low has President Obama gone to tapp my phones during the very sacred election process. This is Nixon/Watergate. Bad (or sick) guy!" (7:02 a.m.)

2. How did Obama respond?

On March 4, reports surfaced that Obama denied the wiretapping claims made by the current president. The statement explained that "neither President Obama nor any White House official ever ordered surveillance on any U.S. citizen."

3. Did Trump supply any evidence against Obama?

No; however, the House Intelligence Committee has recently asked Trump to provide the evidence.

4. What do other people in D.C. think?

Senior White House Counselor Kellyanne Conway told Fox News that there are "various and news sources showing that there was politically motivated activity all during the campaign." She also clarified that "the president's entire point is that the people deserve to know." On the other hand, Republican Senator John McCain recently told media that Trump should retract his claims or provide evidence.

5. What's next?

Like I mentioned before, the House Intelligence Committee has asked Trump to provide evidence of the wiretapping. The group has asked Trump to hand over this by Monday, March 13. Therefore, we'll have to see what happens after that.