Trump's First Month in Office: A Recap

Trump's First Month in Office: A Recap

152
Trump's First Month in Office: A Recap
The Odyssey Online

It's been about a month since Donald Trump was sworn in as the 45th president of the United States.

(Has it really only been a month ?)

In that time, a lot of...not so pleasant things have happened, affecting our country's political climate and its citizens' daily lives. Below is a rather extensive, but by no means comprehensive, list of what's happened since Trump's presidency began.

1. Hate crimes are on the rise

Violence and threatening rhetoric against ethnic and religious minorities including Muslims, African-Americans, and Jews have been on the rise since Trump's election.

2. Trump tried to censor government scientists

Since entering office, Trump has tried to censor scientific findings that contradict his own statement that climate change is a hoax perpetuated by the Chinese. The most vocal opponents to the gag order have been the National Park Service and the Environmental Protection Agency, both of whom have created rogue Twitter accounts that post facts about climate change.

3. He attempted to institute a travel ban on seven predominantly Muslim countries

On January 28th, a little over a week after he took office, Trump issued an executive order that restricted immigration from seven predominantly Muslim countries: Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. More than one person has noticed a glaring issue with the travel ban (y'know, besides the obvious racial and religious discrimination). Namely, none of the Middle Eastern/North African countries where Trump has business interests were included in the ban. Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt, which were the points of origin for people responsible for 94.1% of American deaths due to terrorist attacks on US soil, were exempt from the ban.

4. He threw a tantrum on Twitter when the ban was blocked

Earlier this month, Trump's ban was blocked by the federal appeals court. Trump's response was to throw a tantrum attacking the court system for not complying with his order. I'm going to guess that Trump didn't pass middle school civics.

5. He is planning on issuing another executive order

Despite initially promising to contest the court's decision, Trump is considering issuing a second travel ban with basically the same parameters.

6. ICE raids have been happening in several cities

Over the past couple of weeks, Immigration and Customs Enforcement have conducted raids on the homes and workplaces of undocumented immigrants in at least six states including Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, California, Illonois and New York. ICE has already netted several hundred undocumented immigrants, most of whom have criminal records. However, several Latin American communities have expressed concern that this is only the first step, and soon ICE will be going after law-abiding legal residents.

7. The woefully unqualified Betsy DeVos was officially made Secretary of Education

Despite controversial views and floundering in interviews with Congress, DeVos was declared Secretary of Education after a tie-breaker vote from Vice President Mike Pence

8. The incredibly racist Jeff Sessions was made Attorney General

Jeff Sessions was denied a federal judgeship in 1986 for being "too racist." Can anyone imagine how racist "too racist" was in 1986? Sessions is also a climate change denier and has called civil rights groups un-American.

9. My mom's work schedule has gotten insane

In the last week, she worked 72 hours. That's almost double the accepted standard for a full-time workweek. She looks like this, Donald.

10. My sister got eczema

Being the pretty sister has been a part of her identity and mine since she was a toddler. Don't do this to her, Donald.

11. I have been having weird and possibly prophetic nightmares

Since Trump's election, I have had five disturbing dreams. The first one involved Saint Peter giving the responsibility of calculating how many steps a sinner must take to reach Heaven (Trump does not make that math easy). The second involved actually being a Muslim woman (it was about as pleasant as one could expect in Trump's America). The third involved me (a queer woman) and my disabled brother being abandoned by my Trump-supporting father. We ended up hiding in a Mexican restaurant with a gay man and a trans man I went to high school with. Fourth dream was almost being dragged into hell by a feral woman with long, greasy hair whose eyes and mouth were too big for a human's face. Fifth dream was Trump hugging a flamboyantly villainous-looking Rasputin and then blowing up the library where I worked for four years.

(Avoid this man, Donald)

12. My oven exploded

No one should wake up at four in the morning, let alone wake up at four in the morning to this:

13. Snakes have begun manifesting in my house

That was a recap of Trump's first four weeks in office. Hopefully the next 204...

...will be calmer.