3 Reasons Women Shouldn't Join The 'Women For Trump' Movement

Dear 'Women For Trump,' Trump Has Never Been For Women

Before joining "Women for Trump," I urge women to remember that Trump has never been "for women."

924

On the tail of President Trump launching his 2020 campaign that focuses on female voters — including the creation of a coalition called "Women for Trump" — it is important to recognize that Trump is not pro-women.

Let's recap Trump's history with women's rights.

1. Personal misogyny

Trump has consistently participated in what he referred to as "locker room talk" where he made disgusting comments about women. He has offensively sexualized women — including his own daughter — and has frequently criticized women's appearances when he disagrees with them.

2. Protecting abusers instead of survivors of sexual assault and domestic abuse

The Trump Justice Department changed the legal definition of sexual assault from a broader definition — sexual contact without the explicit consent of the recipient, including fondling, attempted rape, forced sodomy, child molestation, and forced sexual intercourse — to "the term 'sexual assault' means any non-consensual sexual act proscribed by Federal, tribal, or State law, including when the victim lacks capacity to consent."

This revised definition does not require explicit consent from the recipient, which means, in a criminal justice system that already prevents survivors from getting justice, it will be much harder to prove that the sexual contact was unwanted or prosecute forms of sexual assault besides forced sexual intercourse. This definition invalidates sexual assault survivors who were too afraid to say no. It invalidates survivors who physically attempted to stop their assaults, who were coerced or manipulated into sexual activity, who froze in fear when someone they trusted took advantage of that trust.

The change seems small, but there is a reason why explicit consent is necessary before sexual activity.

Trump's administration also redefined "domestic abuse" to include only criminal physical abuse. Domestic abuse and intimate partner violence can both extend outside of physical abuse to include psychological abuse, manipulation and control, and even financial abuse (which is controlling your partner by controlling shared funds). These are also legitimate, horrible forms of abuse that often come before or along with physical violence.

While these definitions affect both men and women, women are statistically more likely to be victims of sexual assault or domestic violence. Eighty-five percent of domestic violence victims are women, and one out of four women worldwide will experience domestic/dating violence in their lifetime. Women between the ages of 20 to 24 are at greatest risk of becoming victims of domestic violence. When it comes to sexual assault, more than one in three women will experience sexual violence in their lifetime. The Trump administration's change to the definition of sexual assault, even if not enacted into legislation yet, shows a clear lack of regard for women's rights and invalidates survivors all over the country.

3. Rolling back reproductive rights

As of last week, President Trump's administration put into place an abortion referral ban which forces all tax-payer funded facilities to stop referring women for abortions. Tax-payer dollars do not fund abortions, so all this regulation does is prevent women from being counseled about all options when making a personal medical decision. It especially impacts low-income women who rely on facilities like Planned Parenthood for their healthcare needs. Regardless of your personal opinion of abortion, this regulation stops women from making their own decisions about what to do with their bodies.

Trump has also supported policies that allow employers to block women from receiving birth control through their work-sponsored health insurance if it is against the workplace owner's religious beliefs. While I am of course in favor of religious freedom in the United States, policies like this use religion as an excuse to control women's decisions about how to use their bodies and, as we have seen with the sexual assault policies as well, blame and shame women for having sex. While someone may personally choose not to use birth control because it contradicts with their religious beliefs, there is no reason why anyone should be able to legally prevent other women from having the right to choose what they do with their own bodies.

Just like the abortion referral ban, this should be considered a women's rights matter, not a religious matter.

Women need to do better to support other women, and women need to realize that Trump has never been their president.

While the "Women for Trump" coalition mainly stands on the platform that 57% of the jobs created during his time as president have gone to women, Trump's boasting about job creation is overblown. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Trump has created 800,000 fewer jobs in the 29 months of his presidency than President Obama created in his last 29 months as president.

The economy has been doing well under Trump, but the economy started doing better before he even became president. President Trump's administration has consistently infringed on women's rights, supported misogynistic language as well as policies, and taken away protection for survivors of abuse and sexual assault instead of helping them. Recently his campaign has been targeting white suburban female voters outside of my hometown, and for this reason, I feel that it is important to recognize all that Trump's administration has done to exclude and harm women.

Before joining Women for Trump, I urge women to remember that Trump has never been for women.