True Love Will Always Find You When You Aren't Looking

It Doesn't Matter How Many Frogs You Kissed, True Love Will Always Find You When You Aren't Even Looking

Our love story is nothing short of entertaining. I mean we started out ignoring one another for FIVE YEARS!

243
Megan Hayes

I was never the girl who swooned after couples in life or TV. I cried at every Nicolas Sparks movie but never felt butterflies for the couple who came out on top. Maybe it was just an adolescent way of looking at love or my upbringing. Though love was present in my life, I didn't care too much to share the excitement for friends and relationships.

I'm not heartless. I love people and animals and chocolate. But I don't think I've ever really loved love. I was not used to too much PDA or being over affectionate. I didn't have a bitter feeling about love but I guess the love I did have between myself and past loves was something that pushed me to continually grow and put faith in God and His timing.

You know the phrase, "You have to kiss a couple frogs to find your prince."? Well, I don't think there's a better and more appropriate phrase for myself. And I'm sorry if you think I'm comparing you to a frog, I'm not.

The term, true love used to make me feel uncomfortable. I don't know what it is. My parents aren't divorced, I didn't grow up around fighting and yet I had this feeling that finding one's One True Love was not possible.

That is until my true love came exactly at the point when I stopped looking or thinking about the possibility. And the initial feeling completely caught me off guard.

I don't want to say that this is the case for everyone. But what I can say is, don't give up.

Breakups happen and they are hard to go through. But you will get through it. Yes, it takes time but more importantly, it takes you understanding that you need to put yourself first with God as your leading man and do what is best for you. Make this time of hardship a lesson and an opportunity to make yourself the best you that you can possibly be.

True love isn't dead or lost or misplaced. And yes some have a different view on the matter based on their upbringing, their personal experiences, age. Everyone is different and that is what is beautiful about love. There's no one set definition of it.

Learning to love yourself and giving yourself grace and patience is one major step in healing from the loss of the love you thought you had, and growing into the understanding of the love you know you should.

My true love came at a time I was using Tinder and having fun being single. And then as soon as I got comfortable…BAM it hit me like a ton of freaking hearts with cupid arrows through them. I didn't know that's what it was at the time or that I even knew what was happening.

I've always said that my one true love has and always will be God. And I hold true to that statement. But that doesn't mean that God doesn't leave room in our hearts to love another human being. And now I have my best friend by my side leading me and loving me in our life and walk with God. It's a cringe-worthy experience and I wouldn't trade my past for anything. Except for maybe a few things but in the long run, these experiences helped shape me and my heart. I had closed my heart to what I thought love was, but through those events, my heart is now even fuller and more open to the love I know I share with my fiancé and my first love, Christ.