True Life: I'm a Commuter

True Life: I'm a Commuter

Commuting to college has its pros and cons, probably more cons though.
153

The first day of my senior year in high school, my math teacher went down the rows and asked us one by one where we saw ourselves a year "from today". My answer was, "I will be attending Fresno State and ill be living somewhere by campus".

Flash forward two years later, I am now on my second year of college and I still live at home. Of course its not at all what I expected. You grow up thinking that once you start going to college you have to move in with roommates, you look forward to the parties, to decorating your room, making new friends and to suddenly have all the freedom in the world. Instead, I still live at home 45 minutes away from the civilization and I am a commuter.

Commuting is such a pain. The average commuter travels an hour to get to school and an hour to get home. If you have an 8 am class you know the nightmare it is to get up at 6 am to make it to your class on time. Getting in those extra 5 minutes isn't even an option. There are definitely both cons and pros of being a commuter.

The cons:

1. All the gas you burn daily is not cheap. You have to decide if you are going to make it to your destination or not when you're on empty. The trouble is, if you stop to pump on your way you are going to be even more late than you already are.

2. You feel the need to head straight home after you are done with class because adding something after will only mean you will have to arrive home later and you don't want to do that. It can sometimes stop you from having more of a social life because you cant work with others schedules.

3. Your city friends don't understand that they have to notify you at least 3 hours before the party or dinner plans because you need at LEAST one hour and a half to get ready and one to drive.

4. Big gaps between classes are dreadful, especially when you have a night class. You don't have anywhere to go and you don't have money to spend at the mall so you have to hang out at the library and study study study, or watch Netflix. I mean, who's going to stop you?

5. You never get ready for school because you are in such a rush and no one ever gets to see you at your full potential. Not only that but you have to make sure you don't forget anything important back home because you cant afford to waste time going back.

6. Stop signs.

7. Having to find a parking lot on campus. Its the biggest nightmare yet and its worse if you have 5 minutes to find it and walk to class.

Pros:

1. If i'm being honest, sometimes I enjoy the drive.

2. You get to blast your speakers and sing your favorite songs.

3. You have time to reflect on life and drink your daily doze of coffee before class.

4. The view of the sunset on the way home is breathtaking. So is the sunrise on your way to college.

5. You get to see your parents and siblings every day and the best part is probably still being able to eat your mom's food instead of cup noodles every day! I'm not complaining.

6. You save yourself so much money! Commuters spend lots of money too but it does not add up to paying rent.

It is such a love/ hate situation but honestly I wouldn't want in any other way. It has definitely made me more responsible and because of it I have lived unique experiences and had amazing views. It won't be this way forever. So for now I will continue to drink my coffee, as I sing to Pink driving through the grape and almond fields. Sure you have to get up earlier but you will miss it one day.