A Tribute To Worlds Best Boss: Ms. Pauline Cole

I work for the World's Best Boss and here are the reasons why.

10
FaceBook

I grew up playing sports with the Sampson County Parks and Recreation Department. I started with t-ball and played up until I was too old. I can clearly remember the ball fields and the faces of the staff at every game. When I finally got my license in high school I set out on the job hunt. Working for the Parks and Rec. Department seemed like a logical step. My first night on the job I worked a little league volleyball practice. That was the start of my employment under the World's Best Boss, Ms. Pauline Cole.

Ms. Pauline is the superintendent at the Parks and Rec. Department. She is also in charge of the southern district of the county where I am from. I have worked under her for about three years now and over that period of time I've come to realize why she is truly the World's Best Boss.

She is super good with children.

The job of a Parks and Rec. employee requires you to spend a lot of time around children. I've seen Ms. Pauline strike up conversations with kids of all ages. They always smile and talk back. She asks them questions concerning the things they care about. She never makes them feel small or unimportant. She remembers the names and faces of the kids that grew up in the Rec. Department. When they have a question or need help with something whether it be finding a lost glove or the bathroom door is locked, she is always willing to take the time to help out.

She always has the best snacks.

There were many times that I would roll into work directly from softball practice. There wouldn't have been any time to grab a bite to eat so my stomach would be growling before I even walked into the door. Almost every time, Ms. Pauline would have a snack ready for me, really good snacks at that. There is no way to fully get across just how much that means to me. Often times she would have so much on hand she'd send some back home with me to share with my family. I'd be lying if I said those cookies or donuts made it that far though!

She is patient.

I love sports and have spent plenty of time playing them myself but it can be difficult to remember all the rules. I know I've had to ask her a million stupid questions and she has never lost her patients with me. She never hesitates to run them back by me. If I was ever running a few minuets late she understood. Parents can get a little crazy when it comes to their children's sports teams. There have been many times that I've heard parents fussing or complaining to her. She never looses her temper or snaps back. Ms. Pauline listens to what they have to say.

She is funny.

My favorite days at work are when I am keeping score at a volleyball game with Ms. Pauline. We sit at a table beside the court and run the scoreboard. There is never a dull moment because she keeps me laughing!

She works hard.

I've always thought of Ms. Pauline as the head honcho of the Parks and Rec. She keeps up with everyone's time sheets, makes the work schedules, runs back and forth between the head office and the game sites. She always seems to be working on something. She works hard not only at the Rec. Department but also at the schools in the Union district. She puts in the extra time to help run a summer camp, make gift bags for teams, or show her appreciation to volunteers.

She cares about me!

I wasn't able to work the regular seasons this past year because I was in college but when I went to the office at the beginning of the summer she told me that she had really missed me. That really meant a lot to me. She always asks about what I have been up to. When I go on a trip she always gives me great travel advice and offers some of her supplies. She has given me birthday and graduation gifts when she really didn't have to. I truly believe I could talk to her about anything and for all these reasons she is not only the World's Best Boss but is also one of my favorite people!