Trevor Noah Debated Tomi Lahren And Everybody Won

What happened when one of the most popular liberals debated one of the most popular conservatives? Hint, hint- progress.

14
Comedy Central

Two weeks ago America was shocked by the victory of former president candidate Donald Trump. Liberals were (and perhaps still are) devastated by what they deemed a “victory for hate”. Conservatives, primed for a rigged outcome, were energized by the result. Trump’s victory has given way to more extreme polarization and continued villainization of both sides by the other. Pages like “Trump Day 1” emerged to document instances of racial and cultural abuse, setting the social media world even more abuzz with political angst.

But political angst in the media reached an all time high on Wednesday when Trevor Noah had conservative sensation, Tomi Lahren, on The Daily Show. What transpired was heated, yet strange debate. Both stars stepped slightly out of character. Lahren abandoned her usual shouting tenor for the reasonable but glib tone of a true social media starlet, and Noah gave up his customary unforgiving sarcasm for comforting reassurances of true curiosity.

At times, the conversation succinctly illustrated the divisions between the conservative and liberal positions. When discussing Black Lives Matter Lahren began by saying she thought the movement started with good intentions, but has since been hijacked by people of color who advocate violence against white people and police. She then lapsed into the common conservative defense against allegations of racism- “I don’t see color.” Instead of taking her down the intellectual rabbit hole that is implicit bias, Noah latched onto her comparison of BLM to the KKK. The entire time Noah never brought up the continuous public hangings and burnings of black Americans by the KKK and how those actions differed extremely from the actions of BLM. Even when Lahren made the interesting comment “I choose not to make myself a victim” Noah failed to point out having a choice about one’s victimhood is in itself a privilege most do not possess. Ultimately, the two did a lot of talking in circles… and that’s okay.

While the show was entertaining as hell, America should do more than just sit idly by being entertained - they should take notes. Noah extended his popularity as a very open and mainstream liberal to someone who has been shunned by traditional outlets of television and print media. Lahren gracefully allowed herself to be the interviewee, never attempting to dominate the dialogue or disrespect her host, and spoke with vulnerability about the rural Americans she believes she represents.

Noah and Lahren not only sat down at a table together, which these days can seem like a true miracle for conservatives and liberals, they kept villainization to a minimal. They endeavored to listen to each other by setting aside their egos. And to a country obsessed with winning, it should excite everyone that their boldness is a victory for us all.