5 Need-To-Know Travel Tips For College Students

Ways to Travel Cheap and Smart

21
The Huffington Post

It’s that time of the year. Last quarter, or last half of the semester for some of you. This means vacation, flights, hotels, and blowing all your savings away. While you feel that you are finally being rewarded for all the hard work you put up during the year, your wallet says otherwise and would like you to be a little bit smarter about the way you travel. Being frugal is key, and shaving off unnecessary expenses is going to allow you to continue on with your education. So here is my list of traveling tips for all you college students out there looking for a good time when spring and summer rolls around, but have limited budget.

Here we go.

Travel During Off Season

Traveling is expensive. Especially during high season, the prices of plane tickets and hotel costs can double or even triple compared to the off seasons. The best time to travel is when all your friends are not going on vacation, and that means odd months out of the months, away from any holidays. Also, try looking into places that are not as popular because the airlines like to charge you expensive prices in tourist areas. There are plenty of hidden gems out there where you can travel with little expenses.

Travel in Groups

Traveling in groups have a lot of perks, which includes lower costs in pretty much anything you do. From sharing rides to sharing rooms, people have all kinds of reasons to travel in a group. Four is usually the magic number. It’s the perfect number to share rooms, share ride costs, and sit down at a restaurant. Plus it’s much more fun this way, to travel with a group of friends than just by yourself or with one other person. Once it gets bigger than four, it may get hectic sometimes and harder to move around. Plus your rides are going to cost more since you have to order bigger cars or sometimes two separate rides. Most hotel rooms accommodate only up to four people anyways so you’re going to have to make some cuts on the roster.

Find Cheap Restaurants

In whichever city you travel to, you will find good, cheap restaurants. Unless you’re rolling in cash, there’s no need for you to go to 5-star hotel meals every day. Just find somewhere that is worth the money that you’re spending. Yelp or Trip Advisor are good resources, or on any travel website there is information on restaurants in various price levels. If all else fail, just ask a local person for recommendations.

You’re a college student, so eat like one

Less is More

Pack light. Unless you’re going to 40 day trek up in the Alps, you should be able to fit everything you need in just one backpack. Honestly, when I go on vacation, I usually just need a shirt for each day, two pairs of pants, some socks and underwear and one pair of all-purpose shoes. If you are planning to go out, you can bring one nice outfit but remember that overpacking is not only expensive but also uncomfortable. There’s nothing worse than moving through a crowded airport with heavy luggage and a carry-on.

Stay with Family and Friends

Cut down extra fat of expense by staying with your friends and family. Hotels can cost hundreds of dollars wherever you stay, especially if you stay for a longer periods of time. It’s best if you can find a friend or family to stay with, then you can save that money and buy them a gift instead. Plus you have a guide around the city, and a ride if they are willing to. Make sure you give them plenty of appreciation though, it can be a nuisance for some people to have company over for a long time so make sure you bring your finest etiquette when you are at the generosity of your relation’s.