Traveling To Tanzania - 5 Things You Need To Know

Traveling To Tanzania

The East African country of Tanzania has a lot to offer to the holidaying visitor or the diehard wildlife enthusiast. Before you go however, do keep these points in mind.

1. Think about why you want to go on a holiday- Tanzania is known for many things, but mostly for its wildlife. Tanzania safari tours don’t come cheap and you need to make a commitment of money and time, if you want to enjoy the experience in full. Go to Tanzania to experience animals up close and personal. They don’t talk about the Big 5 without meaning the BIG FIVE! A good safari will give you the chance to see and observe the lion, the Cape buffalo, the rhino, elephant and elusive leopard. Safaris can get bumpy and rough and you will have to deal with bugs and insects- you need to be okay with these things and not let anything come between you and your great holiday experience.
  2. Don’t look only at the five star experience- while some of the best luxury hotels are present in Tanzania, the whole point of the holiday is to get to the core of the country; its people and their culture. With more than 100 ethnic groups, each with its own practices, culture and cuisine, there’s so much to learn and see. Most tours come with opportunities for conversations and interactions. Make sure you don’t miss out on the chance. From the Chagga to the Maasai, every tribe has its own way of life. When you visit the Makonde, you’ll be mesmerized by their unique black wood carvings. The Haya tribe works with pottery and metal. Like we said, every tribe has its own tradition and you’ll do well to immerse yourself in this way of life. There is much learning to be had. Camp in tents in parks, live in lodges in villages and learn a way of life that’s colorful and vibrant.
  3. Animals are the easiest to spot when it is dry weather. Animals tend to group at watering holes and the foliage isn’t so thick that animals can hide. This is between June and September and constitutes the peak tourist season. Rates are high, national parks are also full. Between March and May, it’s low season for Tanzania. It rains quite a bit and roads are muddy and cannot be easily traversed. Not all hotels are open. Those that are offer discounts. The landscape is beautiful, lush and green. But movement is difficult.Between December and January too there are premium prices for tours and hotels. If you’re comfortable with crowds and desirous of seeing animals, then the high season is when you need to go. Watch out for deals and discounts and make the most of your trip.
  4. Exercise caution while travelling- Tanzania is a safe country, but like in any part of the world, there are unsavory elements everywhere. Be careful while traversing the country, travel in groups or with guides. Dress with caution too, and avoid public displays of affection. Do not carry too much money or valuables when you venture out. It is important to respect the culture and sentiments of the country you’re traveling to and these precautions will keep you comfortable.
  5. Carry your medicines- if you’re experiencing Tanzania weather and conditions for the first time, it can be overwhelming. The dust, heat, mosquitoes and noise can all add to your experience and to your stress levels too. Carry your medical kit to take care of any health issue you may have. Make sure you have medication for travel sickness, pain, stomach ailments and the like. Insect repellants are a good buy too.

Enjoy the Tanzanian experience.