How To Travel Locally And On A Budget

How To Travel Locally And On A Budget

Learn how you can make the most of the city you live in.
49

The summer is a time for working, internships, and summer classes. However, there is also time for you to relax and even travel if you're home. Many of my friends are studying abroad this summer in extravagant locations, but if you're like me, you may be wondering how to make great memories without having to travel very far.

It can be a little expensive to plan a trip to another country, but there are plenty of ways to explore the town you live in. If you live near a city, your chances of finding great things to do are even better. Discovery is all around. Here are some ways to travel within your own city, at a more affordable price.

Go to the concert of a local band you've never seen.

You may think you have great music taste already, but there is something special about going to small venues and experiencing your town's music scene. The people you meet there are most likely going to be friendly and open to talking to you. Even if you're unsure about going, local bands usually require a much cheaper entry fee than a big-name artist.

Visit the local coffee shops.

If you need to unwind, or take your friends to a new place you can discover together, local coffee shops are simple places to catch up with old friends and learn a bit about the community. Baristas at smaller coffeehouses might be more open to talking to you about events that are going on in town. Also, there are usually postings inside about what's happening in the community. The one near my house even hosts local bands on Saturday evenings. You never know what you might find.

Go camping or hiking if you can.

There is most likely someplace near you where you can go on a hike. It's great exercise, and taking a friend with you can lead to some great conversation. Pack a small picnic that you can unwrap at the end of the trail, and definitely bring a camera. If hiking or camping isn't an option nearby, bike riding is an easy alternative. You still see a variety of scenery and get a bit of exercise.

At the very end of the day, remember that traveling is a great experience, but so is precious time to sit down with yourself and be grateful for all the opportunities you have. You'll return to your busy life with a new perspective and great stories to share.