Transitioning Isn't Just About The Surgeries

Physically transitioning isn't the only way to transition.

19

Everyone automatically assumes that someone who is transgender and who is transitioning that it's all about the hormones and the surgeries and dressing up as an exclusively binary appearance of the opposite gender. There is more to just "physically transitioning"

I'm going to be talking about three different parts of transitioning. Not everyone goes through the same transition process and nor does it make their gender identity any less valid as the next person.

keywords:

Trans = Transgender

GNC = Gender Non-conforming (non-binary/third spirit/agender)

HRT = Hormones Replacement Therapy

One is social transition so how the world sees them or addresses them, how family and friends are treating, how well they either blend in with society or stand out as own it. Some people can start off strong with a good support system. Others may have been kicked down but still get up to find support. Not everyone will have the same support as the next person, but support is support. No matter how big or how small, it can make a difference in their life. Trans/GNC people need to be recognized and be treated as a human being, for far too long trans/GNC people have been relentlessly knocked down for the simplest things. Support can just be as simple as referring to the individual with the right name that they chose to be called, the right pronouns that they feel most comfortable with, not exploiting their trans/GNC identity to others and not asking invasive questions that don't impact other people's personal life.

Social transition may be quick for some or takes a long time for others. Sometimes it may not ever be done but that’s up to the individual. It’s all about them figuring out if they want to live just as their gender identity or be open up to being trans/GNC to other humans.

The second one would medical transitioning. This can mean a variety of things such as hormones replacement therapy, cosmetic surgeries, gender-affirming surgeries (previously known as sex-change/sex-reassignment), laser hair removal, and so forth. Basically, anything to do with changing the outer appearance of their body. Not every trans person wants to take hormones, and not every trans person wants to take or have all the surgeries. Surgeries and hormones are very life changing processes and procedures, that doesn’t mean everyone must do them. There are many different types of surgeries that may help the individual feel at peace with their body, it isn't your right to know exactly what it is, how much it is, how they could afford it and etc.

Therapy also counts as medical transitioning because some people just may need some help figuring out if these procedures are right for them. Not all trans/GNC people need therapy but some are required to have therapy sessions depending on the doctor they see for any surgery they may consider as well as HRT (hormones replacement therapy) because it is a controlled substance. No one owes anyone any explanation for what medical procedure and medication they choose to take.

Third would be about legal transition. A name change is a big thing for a lot of trans/GNC individuals. Sometimes the name they were originally born with doesn’t fit them, causes them a great deal of dysphoria (a state of unease or generalization dissatisfaction.) So, to ease their mental and emotional state as well as their general well-being they option to change their name. Some people don’t change their names but a lot of people do. A lot of states and cities require that those changing their names must file a petition in order to change their name, to make sure they aren't hiding from fraud, any felonies, and other illegal acts. Some states also require you to publish your new name in a newspaper or related public medium.

Gender change is and can be complicated and difficult depending on where they live and where they were born. States like Ohio refuses to amend birth certificates to have the gender reflect their gender identity, even if they have taken medication and undergone surgery (or surgeries). Other states like California and Nevada have made it easy to undergone a gender change on birth certificates. Again, depending on the states and cities, that determines whether the individual need to undergo any kind of gender-affirming surgery or surgeries, be on HRT for a specific period of time.

Although now it is possible to change the gender on a US Passport. The US Passport has as much weight as a birth certificate in terms of being a legal document. So like stated above, if a person was born in Ohio they can just change their gender on the US Passport and use that as a legal document when it comes to jobs, moving and any other situations where a legal document is needed to prove an identity.