Transitioning From Homeschool To Public School

Homeschool to public school — things are different.

17
Pintrest

Twelve years, that’s how long I spent doing school from my house in comfortable sweatpants. I didn’t have to wake up, scarf down breakfast, and rush out to catch the bus. I could just roll out of bed ten minutes before class and eat breakfast during it. I got to stay up late, sleep in and school was flexible. Why would anyone want to change that? Boredom. Boredom made me want to change. I sat in my in my desk chair all day, barely moving, looking at a laptop screen. Day after day, it was a cycle that I couldn’t take anymore. I talked to my parents about it and I was signed up to go to my new school.

August 29th I stepped out of my Jeep for my first day at my new school and no, there’s no getting lost on the first-day story. I walked the school before hand and I remember directions well so I knew exactly where I was going (yeah, buzzkill, I know). The first week was crazy. Trying to remember the quickest way to class (as I said I knew where I was at all times. It would just be that I was on the wrong side of the building from where I needed to be), remembering which class was next, and getting to it on time. Since then It's been a joy. I'm meeting new people and making friends. The atmosphere is so different than being at home. An atmosphere that I love. An atmosphere that makes me not want to go back to being homeschooled.

I miss some things about my old school. Being home all the time in the comfort of my bed, couch, or in front of our woodstove (best place to do school in the winter and nap... Definitely nap). I miss my awesome writing clubs that I enjoyed so much. I miss the flexibleness of it. I sacrificed some of my comfort for change but I'm glad I did it.

At home, I was in a box. No room to grow, to learn. It was the same old every day, making it comfortable and easy, but it was killing me. I'm not one of those people that can stay in the same place. I need to get out and learn and going to public school allows me to do that.