Trump's New Transgender Policy

Transgender Individuals Are Humans, Too, And Should Be Treated As Such

And a redefinition of a word won't wipe out a whole community.

121
Courtesy of @ASLU on Twitter

This weekend, the New York Times leaked that the Trump administration is considering narrowing gender down to male and female strictly, and this is based on genitals assigned at birth. This would mean the term "transgender" could be "defined out of existence".

"The sex listed on a person's birth certificate, as originally issued, shall constitute definitive proof of a person's sex unless rebutted by reliable genetic evidence," says the Department of Health and Human Services via a memo.

A transgender person is a person whose gender identity (or what they feel they are in their mind) does not match their birthed sex (or what their genitalia represents). For example, if you are born with the female genitalia, but in your gender expression or gender identity, you are a male, you would identify as Transgender.

With Trumps new policy, 1.4 million people, who recognize themselves at something that isn't their original birth order, will no longer be recognized by the federal government.

If this policy is enforced and changed, it will totally go back on progress that the Obama administration made for the Transgender community. The Obama administration's policy was that he loosened the legal definition of gender in federal programs and he recognized gender as a individual's choice, not by assigned sex.

Unfortunately, this is not the first attack Trump has made on Transgender people.

In February of 2017, the Trump administration already repealed the guidance in schools so that Transgender people have to use the bathroom made for their assigned sex. In March of 2017, he proposed a ban on Transgender people enlisting in the army.The ban has since been lifted, but it turns out that Transgender people are still having a hard time enlisting in the army. There is a really interesting article describing this struggle by The New York Times and you can read it here.

However, this has not stopped any person or people from being Transgender, obviously. In fact, the hashtag #WontBeErased has been going around the internet with people coming together even more than before.

Celebrities, including Lady Gaga, Emma Watson, Sia and Paris Hilton, have spoken in support of the community. This has proven that everyone needs to come together in support of the community, even if you aren't a part of it.

It is so important that the LBGTQA+ community has allies within the straight community, which is what every straight person should be. Stick by your friends during this hard time, support those around you, and show love to those who need it most during these trying times.

The attacks on the Transgender community by Trump disgust me to the innermost workings of my body. His plans and proposals have tried to tear this country apart many of times. However, the community needs to stick together to overcome this evil passing through.

After doing more research and asking questions to the Transgender community, I have found ways that you can support the Trans community and be an ally even if you aren't a part of it. Here's a list to help you:

1. If you are cisgender, talk to your friends and spread the message. Being an ally is so important.

2. VOTE for politicians that support the Transgender community.

3. Spread love to others and to your community. You never know what your kindness could do for someone.

4. Educate yourselves and others.

To the Transgender community: I am so sorry that your body and decisions are up for political debate. Your body should not be a debate. Keep pushing through and educating people around you.