5 Unique Traditions at UA
Life Stages

5 Unique Holidays/Traditions That Exist At The University Of Arizona

Each university is unique in their own way, but learning about traditions at your own school or other schools you know about is both interesting and informative!

177
https://www.goodfreephotos.com/united-states/arizona/tucson/university-of-arizona-in-tuscon-arizona.jpg.php

Every school has their own unique traditions and here at the UA, we have some of the best holidays that are vital traditions to participate in! These holidays/traditions are ones that the freshman learns quickly and the seniors consider second nature when it comes to social life.

1. Sylly Week

DJ Party

https://unsplash.com/photos/uD0W-swVGgE

"Sylly week" also known as "Syllabus Week" is one of the most popular holidays and traditions at the UA. As a school that succeeds in both party/social life as well as academics, you can bet thousands of kids are bringing in the new semester by partying it up every night! Everyone likes to ring in this holiday in different ways and trust me, the only way to celebrate it wrong is to already be spending hours at the library in the first week of school.

Every night, you will see freshman girls making their way to the frats to celebrate to the fullest and many upperclassmen preferring to celebrate at house parties or often more low-key events. While the break from school whether it having been a month or 3 months comes with kids stressing about the intensity of their new batch of classes, making the time to relax and have fun before the stress starts is always a good idea!

2. Dead Day

Woman taking notes at coffee table

https://unsplash.com/photos/tZnbakTUcTI

While the University may officially dub this day as 'Reading Day,' as a University of Arizona student you know that its true name is 'Dead Day,' since even the Professors call it that and acknowledge how students are going to be right before the start of finals season. The actually day is the day before the first day of finals where all classes are canceled and are given as a full day for students to study for their upcoming exams.

You will see study rooms being booked weeks in advance and students spending hours upon hours in the library, taking in every piece of information that they possibly can. The stress levels are high all throughout the campus and the pressure can be felt and the impending break looms over everyone's head as a hope for a change coming soon.

3. Dead Day's Eve

Night Party w DJ

https://unsplash.com/photos/Kcx_YuUR-dw

The night before the so-called 'Reading Day' or 'Dead Day' as it has now been established as, the students of the University of Arizona come out of their studying holes to ring in the start of ultimate stress and finals season, in the way we know best, partying. As soon as the sun sets, the partying begins and the students go hard for their final hoorah of the semester. Since classes are officially over, finals are looming, its time for an all-out stress beating rager.

4. Homecoming

Homecoming 2018

Nupur Parikh

Homecoming at the University of Arizona is actually a pretty big deal. Being a large school with over 40,000 undergrad and millions more of alumni, people from around the country and world flock back to Tucson for the spectacular annual celebrations. It starts with the lighting of "A" Mountain, Club Olympics brings out the very best of different clubs and rivalries, and the excitement of the homecoming football game increases with every passing day! The massive bonfire and parade bring out the school spirit in every one of us, and every student is beaming with school pride throughout this week!

5. Spring Fling

Spring Fling 2018

Nupur Parikh

Spring Semester brings out an event that every local Tucsonan and every UA student knows and loves, Spring Fling. Spring Fling, is a carnival/fair that happens on the UA Mall and is entirely student-run! It is the largest student-run event in the country and one that brings out people from all over the town and the school to come and enjoy. Full of fun and tasty carnival foods, dizzying and exciting rides, and music from popular and local artists. It is the event that has something for everyone and everyone comes out to enjoy, plus proceeds fund the event as well as UA clubs that volunteer their time and resources to help put on this event.

All of these 5 events just touch the surface of the fun and exciting things that go on at the UA campus throughout each and every here, hopefully, this reminded you or taught you of some of our most famous and fun traditions/holidays that we celebrate here in sunny Tucson, AZ!