A Tourist's Guide To A Day In Washington D.C.

If you (care or) have the time, go to that one house that's white.

152
Ashley Keane

Vacations can be full of fun but stressful at times depending on who you're with and where you're traveling to.

This past memorial day weekend, I had the chance to travel to Washington D.C., our nation’s capital. The purpose of my vacation was to compete in the National Catholic Forensic Tournament, but I also wanted to go sightseeing. I mean, how often am I in a big historic city like that?

Now, to preface this trip, I had been there before and visited all the sights, so I was already well-informed on many of the monuments and memorials.

This time the trip would be what I made of it. All I wanted was to try to see as much of Washington D.C. as possible in a day, and here's how:

1. Expect to do a lot of walking.

We started off the morning walking from our hotel to the Smithsonian museum strip. In a city that big, many of the sights are spread out. If your group or you are not interested in walking everywhere, they also have segway tours, rentable scooters or bikes, and taxis to get you where you want to go.

We chose to stick to walking since we had 8 people in our group. At least all the buildings look beautiful and clean. Also, you get to walk along the sidewalks full of trees and green plants, so you know it is a nice environment compared to most big cities.

2. Don't forget to stay hydrated and eat lots of food.

While on our way to the museums we noticed plenty of food trucks lining the roads. These are a great way to buy something to drink or to get a quick snack while you walk. Many offer different kinds of ice cream and popsicles for the hotter parts of the day.

On sunny days it can get really hot, and you will get tired easily. I recommend buying ice cold water bottles whenever you get a chance. Some people also sell them for $1 from a cooler, so take advantage of that.

3. Visit the museums that interest you or your group the most.

The Smithsonian itself is comprised of 19 different museums, gardens, galleries, and other buildings. That means there are a lot of options that might peak different interests. I recommend seeing the ones that relate the most to you if you do not have that much time to see them all.

We particularly went to the Air and Space Museum where we saw a giant IMAX theater, real-size models of planes, and even VR simulator rides. This is a nice place you can spend hours looking at each of the different areas, or you can divide your group to see the ones you really want to see. This one also had three floors of gift shops, so take advantage of that to find some interesting gifts from this galaxy and beyond.

We also went to the American Indian Museum where we enjoyed some delicious and authentic meals. Just do not be concerned if it ends up costing you a bit more for it.

4. Go to the National Mall to relax and make a plan for the rest of the day.

While in D.C., it is best to have an idea of all the places you want to visit. The National Mall is a good headstart because it is centrally located around many different sights. One end is the Washington Monument while the opposite end is the Capitol building.

The space between is an extensive area of open grass. Here is a good place to relax in the sun or to play some games. Families with younger children can be found here running around playing tag, football, frisbee, and other kinds of games. It is a nice area to rest before continuing on to other sights.

5. Take edgy photos with the Washington Monument.

After catching some nice rays, it may be nice to keep heading towards the Washington Monument to get a closer look. I will warn any fellow picture takers out there, the closer you get to it, the more the top looks really skinny. I recommend finding a little farther of an angle to ensure a good photo.

Also another tip, you could take pictures pretending to poke the top of it, pinch the whole monument, or even use it as the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Those are just some of the ones I came up with, but you can also try your own creative ideas.

6. See the war monuments and memorials-the troops deserve to be remembered.

Beyond the monument are other memorials such as Vietnam, Korean, and World War II. All of these are to remember the different fallen soldiers who fought in the various wars. They are represented by names, stars, statues, and other ways.

Another picture note, there are nice fountains inside the center of the World War II Memorial that aligns with the Washington Monument in the background nicely. You may just have other people behind you with the same idea.

7. Make sure to see the big man in the chair at the famous Lincoln Memorial.

Now, why come all the way to Washington without seeing the famous Lincoln Memorial? It is very visible from a distance, so I suggest making your way towards this historic sight. There will be a lot more people here all climbing the stairs to get a closer look at Abe himself sitting in his massive chair. This is especially a nice one to see at night when it is lit if you have the time.

Before you descend the stairs, take a photo opportunity to turn and see the reflecting pool. This may be the best angle you can get of the Washington Monument shown in the water.

8. If you (care or) have the time, go to that one house that's white.

With its distant gates blocking the general public from advancing closer, politics aside, the place is very photogenic and would make a great home to live in even if very temporarily.

If someone you know is interested in going to D.C. even for a short amount of time such as one day, there are a lot of ideas they could do. This should provide just a few personal ideas that I did on my own trip.

At the end of the day, make your stay in the nation’s capital one to remember by visiting everything you can, eating lots of good food, buying typical gift items, and taking some quality photos along the way.

I hope you enjoyed your tour, and come back another time for more vacation tips.