5 'Tough Love' Pieces Of Advice Every Young Adult Needs To Hear

Sometimes, you don't want to always hear it. But here are some things you need to know, out of love of course.

438
Katie Shannon

The transition into adulthood is terrifying, I'm not going to sugar coat it. However, people like my mother and sister helped guide me along the way with advice and a bit of some tough love (that I didn't always particularly want to hear but I definitely needed.) Here is some advice I have picked up along the way.

1. Tie loose ends

c1.staticflickr.com

Life is constantly moving. Sometimes, at a more rapid or slower pace than we would like. Along that time sometimes come different instances where you either lose contact with some people or leave things unsaid. One thing I have learned over the years is that it's never a good idea to leave loose ends in life. Whether it's from a fight you had with some, an old significant other that you never expressed your true feelings, or to that someone you have drifted away from. Reach out to them. Life is too short to be that person who always waits for the other person to speak up first. Don't leave conversations with words unsaid, speak your mind. Also note: If there's something you want to say but it is hurtful/spiteful or plain mean, keep it to yourself. You will never be regretful being nice to someone in this world, but you will regret being mean.

2. Carry yourself with dignity and walk like you have somewhere to be

c1.staticflickr.com

Something my mama always told me was to carry myself with dignity and confidence in whatever I do. Have enough pride for yourself to be able to walk away from the day proud of yourself. This also comes to relationships with other people, no matter how deep. Stand up for yourself and know when to pick and choose your battles with people. As well, something as little as walking to your next class. Hold your head up, have your back up straight and lead with determination. Trust me, people will take notice.

3. Put effort into every relationship you have

c1.staticflickr.com

I don't care how close you are, how long or short you have known one another, and what different circumstances come up a lame excuse. Put effort into every relationship you have. Family, friendships, colleagues, and significant others. Make sure to tell someone you care about them and that they mean something to you through words and actions (emphasis on the "and"). It's one thing to tell someone that they matter to you, but to show them through actions is another. Actions will always speak louder than words.

4. Not everyone will like you in this world, it hurts but you must get over it.

upload.wikimedia.org

There are going to be people that won't always particularly like you, no matter how hard you try. Sometimes, that is a hard pill to swallow. A piece of advice to this is, don't force it. There are so many people out there that want to be your friend, go out there. Put yourself out there and meet people that are more worth your time and energy. They say that if you surround yourself with people that make you feel comfortable and feel included, you're around the right ones. Make friends elsewhere, don't surround yourself with negativity.

5. Don't pity yourself, work harder and smarter.

c2.staticflickr.com

This was a tough piece of advice to hear for me. Like sure, give yourself the time to let out some frustration and tears. But after you let yourself have that moment, you have to move on and work hard. Sometimes in life, you have to be your own cheerleader. Show those other people that talked down on you that they have nothing on you. Find other techniques that help you work smarter, not too much harder than the rate you are going at. Grow through what you go through and create that happy ending for yourself.