9 Totally Weird Things That Only College Students Are Proud Of

Don't lie, you know yours is the best.
427

There are many things that happen in our lives for us to be proud of. Landing your dream job, getting accepted into a great school, and having your kids accomplish their life goals are all worthy of taking pride in. When you're in college, however, there are some weird things that we, as students, take pride in. Here are nine weird things that it seems like only college students are proud of.

1. Area codes

People at college will wear hats with their area code embroidered on them. They'll include them in their Instagram bios. Until you go to college, you'll never experience this level of obsession with part of a phone number.

2. Past experiences

If someone has skydived above the ocean, been to the top of the Eiffel Tower, or hand-fed a monkey in Africa, everyone will hear about it. A normal conversation about what kind of food you feed your dog can easily turn into talking about that one time you ate a parrot egg when you went to Brazil. The stories might seem completely unrelated, but people will find a way to connect them so they can talk about all the cool things they've done.

3. Accents

Some are proud of them, some are proud they don't have them. It just depends where you're from and where you're going to school. But either way, people in college tend to be proud of their (or lack there-of) accents.

4. Connections

Your best friend from high school's great-aunt's cousin's stepson is Ben Affleck? The girl from your rival high school was on the Olympic volleyball team in 2016? You better believe everyone you come in contact with will hear about it. People take pride in their connections. They could have never met the "cool" person in question, but you'll never be able to forget who "knows" who.

5. High school accomplishments

Maybe you were Valedictorian? Or possibly student council president? Maybe you were on the state championship football team (or just went to the school that won)? No matter what you or others at your school accomplished, you'll find some way to brag about it.

6. Amount of GroupMes

Group-Me is a college student's best friend. There is no better way to communicate with a large group of people. One "group" of people, such as a sorority, can have a serious group-me, a non-serious group-me, a group-me just for puppy pictures, and then a group-me with their favorite frat. College kids take pride in their group-me numbers and always seem to want to be added to more.

7. Hometowns

Hometowns can have some pretty wild backstories, and people take pride in them, especially students in college. A hometown might be home to the largest pogo stick museum in the world. Another might have the most coffee shops within a square mile. Or maybe a hometown made national news because it had dead birds fall from the sky two New Year's Eves in a row. Whatever quirky backstory a town has, its residents-turned-college students will be sure to talk it up like its the greatest place in the world (because to them, it is).

8. Home States

College students are proud of where they're from. This is especially true if you go to a state school in a different state other than your home state. Students from other states think their home state is especially great, while the students from the same state as the school tend to wonder why these students chose to attend there. They'll wonder "are you even really a fan of this school? Because I'm from this state and grew up rooting for this team so don't pretend to be a true fan if you're really not".

9. What things are called

My school literally has an ongoing argument about what you call the cheesy liquid you dip a chip into. Some of the most heated arguments I've seen since arriving at school have been about if its called cheese dip or queso (it's cheese dip by the way). College students stick to their guns when it comes to issues like this, and you can bet people take pride in what they called their cheesy dip, among other things.

There really is no time in life quite like the time you spend in college. You're not a full adult, but you're not a full kid. You're meeting new people left and right, and everyday you're becoming prouder of some weird thing. But that's okay because, hey, so is everyone else.