The Top Ten Players In The NBA Right Now

Who are the best of the best?

289
Wikimedia

The NBA is full of tremendous talent that features the best basketball players on the planet. Some of the most gifted athletes on the planet have left their legacy on the court and this year shares that same trend.

With that being said, picking the top ten in a league of so many talented players is no easy feat. So many players have a legitimate argument for themselves for landing a spot on this list. With that being said, this is the top ten players in the NBA right now; meaning that aging veterans in the league that have lost a step from their younger days aren't likely going to make this list.

10. Jimmy Butler

Nothing about Jimmy Butler offensively is very exceptional. He’s certainly good, but he’s not going to amaze you on the offensive end like other guards in this list. What makes Jimmy Butler special is his defense. He is one of the best defensive players in the league and has had success with the impossible task of guarding LeBron James. His effort on the defensive end is exceptional. Combine that with his all-star level offensive game, and he cracks this list.

9. Demarcus Cousins

DeMarcus Cousins is a matchup nightmare. His 270 lbs that come from big man strength make it impossible to guard him and his jump-shot is better than a lot of guards. If he can reduce the number of turnovers he has per-game and raise his field goal percentage, then Cousins would be a top-five player.

8. Karl-Anthony Towns

Towns is already one of the best in the league and he’s only 22. He’s seven feet tall and his three-point percentage is over 40 percent. That’s unheard of. His free throw percentage is 84% and he makes more than half the shots he takes. rebounds well, he plays exceptional defense, and he scores 20 points-per-game. What more could you ask for in your big man?

7. Anthony Davis

Anthony Davis was one of the first of the new “big man” we see in today’s NBA. At 6’10 and 250 lbs, Davis is an above average ball handler and knocks down the three-point shot with more finesse than we’ve ever seen from a player like Davis. He can hit his free throws, he’s excellent in the post, and he’s one of the most efficient players in the league. This hasn’t been able to translate to team success which hurts how good Davis appears.

6. Russell Westbrook

Coming off of an MVP year, Westbrook still continues to produce. He is once again averaging a triple-double at this point in the season. Westbrook is the most explosive guard in the league and can attack the rim better than anyone at his position. The only knock against Westbrook is that he’s not a good shooter. He’s only shooting 70% from the free throw line and his three-point percentage is dreadful at 30%.

5. Stephen Curry

Stephen Curry is the greatest shooter that has ever walked on this Earth. He’s changed the game and has been the face of one of, if not the best team in NBA history. Curry has remarkable talent on the offensive end, the reason he’s not ranked higher is because he is somewhat of a liability defensively against other elite guards and he lacks the athleticism to dominate inside the three-point line.

4. Giannis Antetokounmpo

The Greek Freak is exactly what his nickname says. He’s Greek and he’s a basketball freak. He’s nearly seven feet tall and he’s got amazing athletic ability. He plays like a guard with his speed, quickness and ball-handling ability. He’s good at setting up teammates with his passes and he’s unstoppable when he decides to drive to the basket. He’s essentially a seven-foot LeBron James when he came into the league. The only thing holding him back is his shooting ability. His three-point percentage is at 28% and he’s only making about 76% of his free throws. If he can improve his hooting, then he can take over the league.

3. James Harden

Harden for the past three years has been so close to winning the MVP. He’s currently having the best season of his career and has led his team to two wins over The Golden State Warriors. This Rockets team looks different than previous seasons and they have shown they can compete with Golden State with James Harden leading the way.

2. Kevin Durant

Is there anything Kevin Durant can’t do? Guarding Kevin Durant is just scary. The seven-footer can handle the ball like a Point Guard, shoots with elite precision, and drives the ball inside among the best in the league. Durant is so close to the best player in the league, however, nobody would’ve said he was best until he joined the Golden State Warriors. The Warriors are arguably the best team in NBA history and being on that team definitely elevates Durant, but also keeps him from taking the number one spot.

1. LeBron James

We all knew this was coming, right? LeBron James has dominated the NBA ever since 2003. He defies father time with one of his best seasons at the age of 33. Look at it this way; when you get compared to Michael Jordan as the greatest player of all time and it’s a serious conversation, then you’re the best in the league.