TOP TEN NINTENDO 64 GAMES

TOP TEN NINTENDO 64 GAMES

Ten of the greatest classic video games from one of the greatest classic video game systems.

31
TOP TEN NINTENDO 64 GAMES
www.dorkly.com

In 1996 Nintendo released its third gaming console known as the Nintendo 64, or more commonly referred to as the N64. I am assuming the majority of students at Assumption are at least familiar with the system and have played it before, and that many have owned or still own a Nintendo 64. I, myself, have my Nintendo 64 in my dorm and still play it occasionally. This list of the top ten Nintendo 64 games are not based on my own opinion. This list is based strictly on how many copies of each game were sold. Without further ado, here we go:

(these statistics are accurate as of 2009 but I doubt 6 years would change the rankings drastically)

#10 Banjo-Kazooie - 3.65 million copies sold

This game is the first installment in the Banjo-Kazooie series. It is an adventure game following the characters Banjo and Kazooie (shocker) as they try to stop the evil Gruntilda. The game is set up like most other adventure games with open levels and obstacles; such as puzzles, gathering objects, and battling enemies. This game is a classic, but only holds number ten on this list.

#9 Star Fox 64 - 4.03 million copies sold

Star Fox 64 is the only Star Fox game for Nintendo 64. You control an aircraft (or vehicle) piloted by the main character, Fox McCloud, who is my personal favorite Super Smash Bros. character. If you are wondering about Super Smash Bros., don't worry it is on here, but not until later.

#8 Diddy Kong Racing - 4.88 million copies sold

Diddy Kong Racing is a spinoff of the Donkey Kong series, in which the main character is Diddy Kong. This game is much like any other kart racing game and I'm not the biggest fan of this game. But according to the numbers this game was a huge success.

#7 Donkey Kong 64 - 5.27 million copies sold

Sticking to the Donkey Kong world, the next game in the countdown is Donkey Kong 64. In this game you are in an open world where you can play as one of five Kong's (Donkey, Diddy, Lanky, Tiny, or Chunky) and fight against the evil King K. Rool. This game is one of my favorites and is the game that comes to mind when someone mentions Donkey Kong.

#6 Pokemon Stadium - 5.45 million copies sold

If you've ever played a Pokemon game, you know how a battle works. In Pokemon Stadium you basically just battle others and build your team. The best part is that instead of the 2-D Game Boy versions, this one is in 3-D. This is an all-around great Pokemon game that can be played with endless customization.

#5 Super Smash Bros. - 5.55 million

The game that started it all. Smash Bros. is a household name and somehow seems to get better with each new and improved game they release. However, the original Smash Bros. gave gamers a new type of experience. With a cast of characters that can be considered a Nintendo all-star team battling in all out combat, what more could you ask for?

Now this is when we make a huge jump in sales

#4 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 7.6 million copies sold

If you're close to me, you know that my opinion on this game is that it is the greatest game ever made. It is argued on many different websites and polls to be the best game of all-time, not just on the Nintendo 64. The reason it is number four is because of the number of sales. Zelda games are not for everyone, but some games are, and you'll see what those games are very soon.

#3 GoldenEye 007 - 8.09 million copies sold

GoldenEye is by far the best 007 video game made on the Nintendo 64 and the numbers back up my claim. From the story mode, where you act as James Bond killing enemies and completing missions, to the prized multiplayer mode, where you can compete with friends, this game has it all.

#2 Mario Kart 64 - 9.87 million copies sold

And finally we have our first Mario game. It was inevitable. If you don't know Mario then you must be living under a rock. Him and his friends (or enemies if you count Bowser and Wario) take to the racetrack in this game. This is what I was talking about when I said some games are for everyone. This is a family game, whereas Zelda games are only single player.

Okay and we finally have reached number one. At this point it is a bit obvious.

#1 Super Mario 64 - 11.89 million copies sold!!!

This is the only Nintendo 64 game to crack 8 digits on number of copies sold. There is no doubt that this game is number one. Building on the original Super Mario games, which are iconic at the very least, Super Mario 64 takes the Mario adventure game to three dimensions. Like most other Mario games, Mario must save Princess Peach from the evil Bowser. This is an unbelievable game.

Well, there you have it, the top ten Nintendo 64 games by number of copies sold. If it were opinion based the list would be completely different. Ocarina of Time would be a clear number one, but that's just me. Thank you for reading and look out for another top ten list coming soon.