Top Ten Favorite Halloween Movies

Top Ten Favorite Halloween Movies

My favorite Halloween movies.

131
Top Ten Favorite Halloween Movies
Pixabay.com

Halloween decorations can be found decorating lawns with poor witches who have crashed into an unexpected wall or tree, to ghosts that are swooping wildly in the wind, hanging in leaf-bare trees. Pumpkins are adorning front porch steps with their carved snaggle-toothed smile. The smell of pumpkin spice, apples, and caramel sweet in the air. The kids are picking out costumes, excited for their trick-or-treat night. Well, now it's time to settle down to start the Halloween movie marathon.

I am sure everyone has their own favorite list of Halloween/scary movies, but I wanted to share mine just in case my list holds a tiny gem that you, my reader, have not seen yet. And that is a big maybe. I have been a horror flick connoisseur since I was a small thing, however, my mother did not allow my younger sister and me to watch such movies. So, on Friday nights, my older sister would pick me up for a weekend full of gore, mangled body parts, and the stupid girl always running up the stairs to get away. So, when October came, it was like Christmas for me. My sister would rent all our favorite Halloween movies and watch one each night. Now, for the purpose of keeping your attention, I am going to keep that list down to ten. Some of the movies are ones I came to love as my children and I watched them every year. So yes, there are a few family-friendly Halloween movies that you can enjoy with your own kids. I think there isn’t anything better than fixing hot cocoa with a bunch of the miniature marshmallows, along with some buttery popcorn, and spending time with the kids on a cool autumn night.

The first five movies I am sharing will be the family-friendly Halloween movies. Concluded by my five scariest Halloween movies!

Disney’s Halloweentown (1998)

Halloweentown II: Kalabar’s Revenge (2001)

Halloweentown High (2004)

Return to Halloweentown (2006) PG

A delightful movie about a teenage witch who hasn’t quite grown into her powers. Her mother is trying to keep life as normal as mortally possible for her, that is until Grandma’s (Debbie Reynolds) yearly Halloween visits go awry as Marly sneaks off with her grandmother to Halloweentown. All three of my children loved these movies, as there are at least three sequels. The movie tackles issues such as bullying, judging others on looks alone, believing in one’s self, and the love of family. So, the kids will learn a few morals or two, which is always a great thing!

Disney’s Hocus Pocus (1993) PG

No list is complete without Hocus Pocus, and I would be remiss in leaving this classic witchy movie out. Three witches return, as Max, a virgin teenage boy, lights the black candle that he and his younger sister find in the old Sanderson sister’s cottage. Not believing in the hocus pocus of the town’s history with these three powerful sisters who need the souls of children to stay young and powerful. Bette Midler created such a wonderful character in Winne, the eldest of the sisters, and the bossiest. There is the comedic value of the sisters finding the town changed, as much had changed in the three centuries they had been trapped. There are also some morals to this family movie, such as leaving things alone that aren’t yours, especially if there is black magic afoot. The sibling bond between brother and sister, Max and Dani, is sweet since he is trying to protect her from the Sanderson sisters.

Casper (1995) PG

This sweet story mixes the apprehension of moving and the making new friends, especially when a girl moves into the town’s only haunted mansion and a mounting crush on a ghost named Casper, a boy who died in her new home. Trying to make friends while living in that house with her weird, paranormal hunter father was tough but she finds a true friend in Casper the ghost.

Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983) PG

This may be suitable for older children due to its darker nature, however, I was probably around nine years old when I watched this fascinating film during a blustery rainy autumn day, stuck in the house with nothing better to do. Today I am glad it was that dark kind of day, so my imagination could run away. The film is based on a Ray Bradbury novel. He even wrote the screenplay for this movie. Two coming-of-age boys, best friends since they were babies, talked of far off places and things they only dreamed of, but when a mysterious carnival comes to their town, the adults start acting weird. The mysterious carnival’s Mr. Dark offers things too good to be true. It is still one of my all-time favorites to this day.

Tim Burton’s Frankenweenie (2012) PG

Ok, so a Halloween movie shouldn’t make you cry! This heart touching story of a boy and his dog really touched my heart and my tear ducts. Young Victor, after losing his beloved pet dog, Sparky, conducts an experiment to bring him back to life. Think of it as an age-appropriate Frankenstein that teaches your child about love, death, and friendship in a captivating way. After Victor’s secret gets out, all of the students want to get their hands on his formula for bringing back the dead, especially those who have lost pets of their own, and those who are desperate to win the science competition, which results in some crazy events. So, if you haven’t already seen Frankenweenie, please do, for I promise you won’t regret it, nor will your kids.

So that wraps up the family-friendly Halloween movies. I could add quite a few more, but I think these will get you going in the right direction. Even if you don’t have kids, these movies will entertain the child hidden deep inside during October.

On to my five favorite scary Halloween movies. I will try and pick movies other than the usual basic Halloween movies, such as the Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street franchises.

Clive Barker’s Hellraiser (1987) R

If I leave this one off the list my husband will be upset. This is one of his favorite scary movies, as well as mine. This bloody and gory movie will quench anyone’s thirst for horror, thrills, and demons who like to taunt and torture. A uniquely made box calls the demonic Cenobites, along with their philosophical leader, Pinhead. So, beware the box. Plus there are several sequels to this movie, some better than others.

Roman Polanski’s Rosemary’s Baby (1968) R

I was in my early 30s when I decided to give this older movie a try. Boy, was I spooked the whole time as Rosemary is surrounded by these weird neighbors and strange happenings. The safety of her unborn baby exhausts Rosemary as she struggles against the wishes of everyone. Some of you may remember this movie from your childhood, but I promise some things seem even spookier after we grow up and experience life a bit.

Pumpkinhead (1998) R

This movie is one of those that sticks with you after the lights go out. You even hear the bumps in the night and wonder if someone has sent Pumpkinhead for you over some slight. Ed Harley seeks revenge on the teenagers who kill his son in a hit-and-run accident by asking the old mountain witch to conjure the deadly spirit of Pumpkinhead to carry out his revenge. But at what cost?

Stephen King’s Pet Sematary (1989) R

Not only is Pet Sematary creepy, it is one of those scary movies that gets under your skin. An old Indian burial ground will bring back any corpse buried on their soar land. Just remember, they never come back the same. This movie takes you through the gamut of feelings: sadness, joy, concerned, anger, and being terrified.

Sinister (2012) R

These movies scare the bejeezus out of me. The music played in the background instills a scary vibe, keeping you tense, waiting for something to jump out at you. True-crime writer Ellison Oswalt rented the house where a horrible murder took place. The whole family, except for one small child, was missing. Mysteriously Ellison comes upon a box of home movies, yet they are actually videos of the deaths of several families. Ellison and his family have started noticing strange events. The children are acting strange and Ellison is trying to solve a case that might be in the paranormal area. If you are looking for something a little different check out these movies and the suspense will keep you on your toes. They will have you locking your bedroom door.

So, there you go, ten of my favorite Halloween movies. What are your favorite Halloween movies?