The Top 6 Macaroni And Cheese Dishes In New Orleans

The best six places to get your mac n' cheese fix.

715
NOLAFoodette

Previously posted on NOLAFoodette.com.

It's officially Fall in New Orleans, whether it feels like it or not and even though we are still in tank tops and shorts, we're all starting to crave the comfort foods that go with the season. Once you've pumpkin-spiced yourself, the next thing many start to look for is a cozy, creamy, cheesy, hot and filling dish. It's ooey and gooey and warms the soul. It is macaroni and cheese. Even the cheap macaroni that comes out of a box with powdered cheese is still good, but the really good stuff will lift your spirits to a new dimension of a cheese heaven. What makes mac n' cheese even more magical is it's versatility. Throughout the city, you can find versions with bacon, lobster, asparagus or peppers any number of different cheeses. If you're looking for the best macaroni in New Orleans, we've got you covered with six places to get your cheese fix!

1. St. James Cheese

A venue whose sole existence is all about the cheese, you know their mac and cheese has to be on point. Oh, and on point it is. Available at both St. James Cheese locations in the warehouse district and uptown, the Cheesemonger's Mac & Cheese is a blend of multiple cheeses and comes in a large (entree) and small (appetizer) size.

2. Butcher

Butcher is known best for their meats and sandwiches, but they don't mess around when it comes to their macaroni. The sharp cheddar and house-cured pancetta make up the warm center and the crispy parmesan and bread crumb crust makes each bite crispy and creamy in all the right ways.

3. Café b!

Yes, I am biased with this macaroni and cheese because the recipe is based on the one I was raised on, but don't let that stop you from trying it! The Mac and 3 Cheese side is a blend of Irish white cheddar and gruyere and topped with parmesan. It is then finished in an individual cast iron dish so you can enjoy the hot stretchy cheesy dish hot through the last bite.

4. Cowbell

One of the few dishes featured here that is not a baked version of macaroni, this three cheese delight includes poblano peppers and a blend of herbs that keep you digging in for more. If you really want to get crazy, order their lobster mac and cheese version, but trust me, you won't lose with either choice.

5. Capdeville

If you're a sucker for truffle anything (like me), the Capdeville macaroni and cheese dish will win your heart starting with the smell. They use a small noodle just to make sure you are reminded that it's all about that cheesy sauce. Get the large portion. You will want the whole thing.

6. The Big Cheezy

The Big Cheezy knows how to handle cheese between two (or more) slices of bread, and that's exactly how they serve up their Mac N' Cheezy. The only macaroni and cheese dish you can eat with your hands, this buttery colossal sandwich will hit you right in the feels. Oh, and try it dipped in the tomato basil. You will be glad you did.