top point guards in the nba

Top 10 Point Guards in the NBA Going Into the 2018-2019 Season

My top 10 list for the best Point Guards in the NBA currently

34
https://www.instagram.com/p/BdTqe3VDSNx/?tagged
Instagram

With the league embracing the uprising of the "position-less player", it seems like as long as you can handle the ball relatively well and have a decent enough IQ to start/run an offense you can put that player at point guard. For the sake of this list though, only players originally listed at the position will be included. This list will take into account statistical production, player progression, individual succession and overall contribution to their team from an objective point of view. Now that the criteria are set, lets hop into the list.

1. Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors

Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors

Instagram

I'm not a Curry hater, but it pains me to put him above Russell Westbrook, who is my favorite player. I had to give credit where credit is due and when you're a heavy contributor on a dynastic team as their primary ball handler, you can't help but place a player like that at the top of the list. Curry's range alone makes him unique because he has this "gravitational pull" effect on defenses as he causes defenders to pick him up from half court. The man is a religious 25 – 30 point scorer, a two time MVP, three-time champion and has universally established himself as the greatest shooter in league history. And you can't forget that Curry has single-handedly changed the landscape of the NBA by emphasizing the impact of the three-point shot.

2. Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder

Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder

Instagram

The man is a walking triple-double with athleticism on par with Lebron James. I'm willing to comply with the Westbrook haters who pick at his efficiency numbers, high usage rate, and shot selection/volume, but he also is a high energy guy that takes and makes big shots. His ability and knack to compete on both ends of the court allow him to will his team to victory, while also allowing him to display his ability to be an elite two-way player. Hard to place Westbrook out of the top two at his position in the current NBA after becoming a league MVP and averaging a triple-double two years in a row following the departure of Kevin Durant.

3. Chris Paul, Houston Rockets

Chris Paul, Houston Rockets

Instagram

Let me just preface my comments by saying WHEN HEALTHY, Paul is a top three point guard. WHEN HEALTHY. Chris Paul is the definition of a Point Guard due to his passing ability and his talent regarding running an NBA offense. The man's mid-range game is ridiculously good, his Pitbull mentality on the defensive end is consistently impactful and he is a proficient playmaker especially for his size as he is listed at 6'0. Paul has a history of choking or getting injured during playoff stretches, but he's shown little signs of slowing down and now that he's going into year two of being paired with James Harden, he has the chance to right his wrongs as he and the Rockets were one game away from reaching the Finals (Reminder: Chris Paul didn't play in Game 7 against the Warriors due to injury).

4. Kyrie Irving, Boston Celtics

Kyrie Irving, Boston Celtics

Instagram

Uncle Drew aka The Walking Bucket is definitely a top-five point guard in the league. Irving has every dribble move in the book and he has the ability to get into the paint at will. With his offensive arsenal paired with his own version of "Mamba Mentality", Irving has a finesse game that consistently shakes and breaks down defenses forcing teams to double team him and force the ball out of his hands. Expect year two of Irving with the Celtics to be absolutely crazy, as hopefully he and Gordon Hayward will be healthy and the rest of their young core will be coming in with another year playoff experience.

5. John Wall, Washington Wizards

John Wall, Washington Wizards

Instagram

Easily could be a contender for that top spot, but he hasn't produced enough in the postseason. Consistently averages double-digit assists and two or three steals a game, which highlights his ability to get others involved and his high level of activity on the defensive end. And don't even get me started on his skill in the open court as his speed and athleticism allow him to thrive in transition. His biggest weakness is his lack of consistency as a shooter, but considering he primarily a driver and an off-ball slasher it's not shocking that he still is working to improve his shot.

6. Damian Lillard, Portland Trailblazers

Damian Lillard, Portland Trailblazers

Instagram

"Dame Dolla" is among the top three point guards in the league if we're just looking at offense. Honestly, Lillard is overshadowed and I would even say he is slept on due to the fact that he's in the competitive Western Conference that is dominated by backcourt talent. As a consistent 20 point scorer, Lillard's biggest flaw is that in games where he's struggling from the floor, he becomes a liability on the court as a whole because he is a below average defender. Lillard is still young at 27 years old so if he learns/wills himself to become at least an average defender, he could easily crack the top five next season.

7. Kyle Lowry, Toronto Raptors

Kyle Lowry, Toronto Raptors

Instagram

One of the most underrated players in the entire league, but relatively makes sense considering his poor shooting performances in the playoffs the last few years. Lowry is relatively a crafty player that is a great player overall and honestly just needs to translate his talent into playoff production. My only concern is that he's 31 years old which means he soon will be on the decline. With that in mind, the Raptors really need to determine if continuing to pair Demar DeRozan with Lowry is going to be enough to get the team into the Finals. Lowry definitely has at least one or two more good years left before he experiences the decline so I'm sure he'll make the most of it.

8. Mike Conley, Memphis Grizzlies

MIke Conley, Memphis Grizzlies

Instagram

EASILY underrated due to playing in a small market like Memphis while also competing for a playoff spot in a Western Conference that only continues to get tougher. Despite the countless amount of players moving around the last few years, the Grizzlies have consistently relied on the two-way play of Conley and Marc Gasol. Considering that a year ago he went from 15 points to 20 and improved in almost every offensive category, Conley has something to build on going into next season coming off an injury.

9. Jrue Holiday, New Orleans Pelicans

Jrue Holiday, New Orleans Pelicans

Instagram

Holiday has been somewhat inconsistent the last few seasons, but this past playoff he had a bit of a coming out party. After Demarcus Cousins went down and throughout the first round against the Trailblazers, Holiday displayed his ability to use his size and length to effectively make shots over smaller defenders and play efficient defense against guards and small forwards. I expect Holiday to build off last season and continue to grow as a proficient player on both ends of the floor. If he can improve his consistency when shooting from long range, he could further develop into the perfect second option alongside Anthony Davis.

10. Kemba Walker, Charlotte Hornets

Kemba Walker, Charlotte Hornets

Instagram

A self-made All Star caliber player, Walker compares easily to Damian Lillard. Being on a weak Hornets team, Walker has to rely on ESPN Top 10 ankle breaker highlights just to get noticed. Despite being in trade talks the last two years, he just signed an extension with Charlotte and considering his development as a dynamic scorer, he will continue to thrive as their primary option. Defensively he sometimes tends to get lost and taken advantage of due to his size and skinny frame, but he makes up for it with his low turnover ratio, displaying his proficient ball handling and good decision making as the primary ball handler.

With all the player movement dynamics and all the season storylines in place for the upcoming season, all these players have at least a little something to prove. I expect each and every one of these guys to progress in a way that they validate why they were on this list or prove why they deserve to be placed higher.